Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • RS Dual Air Problem.
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

I serviced my SID forks over the weekend, lowers were off so both chambers were empty, after inflating the +ve to 120psi, I attached the pump to the -ve and it registered 10psi already in the chamber, I presume I have a leak somewhere, anyone?

IA

Or the pistons just moved about as you re-inflated. It's probably fine.

Could be a leak though, empty the negative air, let it sit a while and re-check.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Or the pistons just moved about as you re-inflated. It's probably fine.

Ah good call, never thought of that, however I've inflated them a couple of times and the same thing happens.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    13thfloormonk

I wouldn't presume you've got a leak straight away.

When you depressurise the chambers they will change volume. As you pressurised the positive chamber again it could just have made the negative chamber smaller, increasing the pressure in that chamber.

If you had a proper leak then it wouldn't stop at 10 psi, it would keep leaking until the 120psi in the positive chamber had spread itself equally between the two chambers, giving you something like 80psi (complete guess there) in both chambers

KINGTUT
    Free Member

That makes perfect sense, thanks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn't presume you've got a leak straight away.

When you depressurise the chambers they will change volume. As you pressurised the positive chamber again it could just have made the negative chamber smaller, increasing the pressure in that chamber.

If you had a proper leak then it wouldn't stop at 10 psi, it would keep leaking until the 120psi in the positive chamber had spread itself equally between the two chambers, giving you something like 80psi (complete guess there) in both chambers

That makes perfect sense to me. As you inflate one chamber, you're effectively putting the squeeze on the other chamber. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘RS Dual Air Problem.’ is closed to new replies.