Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • RRP Neoguard Fork Mud Guard
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any good? getting soaked at the minute with wheel spray / mud, even if it cut out most of it, it would be excellent!

do they work really or is it just another load of hyped mtb crap that fails to deliver?

also i have 150mm forks, but stepped down to 140mm, what size would i need?

cheers!

Bagstard
    Free Member

They do work, but make annoying motorbike sounds on full travel.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes – also a good reminder to get into a proper attack positon because otherwise your face can be too far back for the neoguard to protect it!

steveh

They are very good, really effective at stopping the water thrown from your wheels. Coupled with a crud catcher they do an even better job.
    The best size for your forks is on their website as it varies a lot by brand. 160mm forks can go from small to large depending who’s they are.

LoCo
    Free Member

They ok, used to use in conjunction with a crud catcher on the front.
    Have changed to one of the Powa fenders now which is amazing.

momo

Yes they’re very good.

You’ll probably want the medium size, but if buying from LBS have a look at the packaging, has a full list of which forks it’s suited to on the back.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers, so it does work to some extent then, even if it stopped 50% of spray/mud id be happy, glasses are getting **** from grit etc and contacts too when take the glasses off…so just some form of protection would be great, doesnt look to naff either like others

(ps chief- ive decided im gonna stick my RQ 2.2UST on the back this weekend instead of buying more spesh ones, gonna give it a shot F&R)

1981miked
    Free Member

There is a size guide on CRC that shows u what size u need. I have been using them for a couple of years and I think they are great. I reckon ud need a small, I have a 130mm travel forks and I run an XS. Get the one with the evil eyes for extra radness, it add’s extra hardcore XC abilities to your riding. Ouw for sure!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

if its any help size wise – they are fox float 150mms, reduced to 140mm?

cheers again, sounds promising!

LoCo
    Free Member

Have got my one that’s that size (medium I think) laying around somewhere if you want it for a couple of £s 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

loco – do you have any forks to hand you could try the size on for me please?

if so ill take it! just need make sure its gonna fit

150 floats reduced to 140mm by you 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

They were on 150 fox’s and 130 revs, mail me your address and I’ll just send it over to try for size when I find it, house has been ‘tidied’ as the new baby has recently arrived.
    Incidenally who’s had my trail pump 👿 😉

grum
    Free Member

They work but IMO they are a poor design as they throw crap straight at your fork seals. I have no proper evidence but I had some RS Pikes with stanchions that wore very quickly right on the area where the crap was getting thrown at by my Neoguard. The MuckyNutz FenderBender is a much better solution IMO.

LoCo
    Free Member

That’s another plus for the Powa fender keeping stuff off the seals, saying that not had any issues with the Neo ones, but I’m pretty finiky about cleaning the bike after every ride.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers loco – ive gotta pop up lbs at dinner so ill take a look as i think they stock them to- if not ill mail you back this arfo, sounds like a medium would fit then either way if you have run the same on both of them…

and as for seals – mine are caked in mud after every ride – as loco says, just clean the bloody things after each ride, cant do much damage that way then and only takes a bit of water and 2 mins of time

LoCo
    Free Member

2 minutes?! omg I’ve must have ocd 😉 it’s more like half hour and that’s if I don’t polish it too 😳

warpcow
    Free Member

I followed RRP’s sizing a bought a small for my 140mm Pikes. It’s pretty tight at full extension and so far I haven’t noticed a buzzing at full travel either. I’ll admit I’m worried about what Grum describes. The Neoguard does lead slop directly down onto the seals. I’ve had Mucky Nutz before, which seemed excellent in that regard, but they tended to die after a few months (they’d split around the holes).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

lol – thats just for the seals, 2x minutes for each bike part = half hour = sounds about right 🙂

but yeah im sure if you clean the seals when its muddy as hell it should be mostly fine, mine are caked in mud now, so cant do much worse damage if any, and my stanchions have always been perfect!

somafunk

I run 140mm talas and a small fits them fine, remember you’ll be running sag and your forks will be only be at full 140mm extension when the bikes not being ridden.

I’ve also just bought a mucky nutz bender fender which is excellent for keeping the mud and spray off the fork stantions, highly recommended.

If you want total protection then i guess you could use both at once but i tend to use the mucky nutz more than my neoguard as i don’t want to bork my stantions with winter grit.

mactheknife

Also look at the Bender Fender absolutely great bit of kit. Your stanchions also stay as clean as a whistle.

somafunk

PS : I always spray my stantions with silicone spray after each ride and pump the forks a few times to clean the seals.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/NeoGuard.htm

just checked out that, they have a drop down menu for size guide and its saying fox float 140-160 is size small!

ill get one of them then!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Definitely work; I would say the fender bender is slightly more effective but there’s not really much in it.

D0NK

got an RRP also got a couple of DIY innertube and ziptie jobs. RRP looks nicer but DIY does the same job and better clearance between arch and tyre too. And you can easily stick a bender fender in aswell to keep forks seals clean(er)

mamadirt
    Free Member

I use a small on my u-turn Lyriks. Fine, if a little saggy, at 110 but plenty stretchy enough for the full 160mm. Pull the straps tight when fitting and cut off any excess (burning the ends to prevent fraying) and this should stop any motorbike noises 😉

stumpy01

Problem with Mucky Nutz Fender Bender can be type clearance. It’s very tight on my Rebas with types that aren’t that big.
    It’s better with the Fox forks on my fsr with a Purgatory typr which is fairly big. But – had to take it off at the 24/12 as it was jamming with mud that was then getting pushed out around the fork legs. That was an extreme case of mud though…

Keep thinking I should do a ghetto version that fits above the fork brace, not below.

nealy
    Free Member

Mucky Nutz Fender Bender is better than the neoguard IMO

Problem with Mucky Nutz Fender Bender can be type clearance. It’s very tight on my Rebas with types that aren’t that big.
    It’s better with the Fox forks on my fsr with a Purgatory typr which is fairly big. But – had to take it off at the 24/12 as it was jamming with mud that was then getting pushed out around the fork legs. That was an extreme case of mud though…

Keep thinking I should do a ghetto version that fits above the fork brace, not below.

I’ve got an older Reba and had exactly the same problem athough in fairness it was worse with the neoguard. After the original Fender Bender gave up the ghost after many months of use I’ve just made a copy based on the new 16% longer version cut out of a flexible plastic A4 folder and used zip ties to fit it rather than velcro and the tyre clearance is loads better so much so that I reckon I’ll get a Maxxis High Roller II 2.4 in there without it catching. It’ll still get the odd bit of mud catching but there’s space for it to clear itself.

stumpy01

Hmmm. Should probably check my spelling/auto-correction of tyre before posting…

svalgis
    Free Member

+1 on zipties for the Bender Fender, works a lot better than velcro as it allows you to make it tighter (better clearance) plus it doesn’t attract as much dirt. Crap still get stuck between the guard and the tyre occasionally though, which is annoying. More annoying than getting it thrown in the face and/or the seals? Probably not.

Surprised no one seems to have patented the general design by the way, as there’s atleast a couple of other brands out there doing a very similar product. Good for us though obviously.

monogramman
    Free Member

Float 150s take a small mate. Your welcome to try mine if you want.

boltonjon

Been using a RRP for 18 months on my full susser and i’m very impressed

Recently added a Marsh Guard to my hardtail and i’m even more impressed

chiefgrooveguru

I like to have tons of tyre clearance so that I can run big soft tyres all year round (rather than switching to mud tyres in the winter to let me rail the corners until I hit a wet root and land on my face) and the Neoguard is much better for clearance than the Bender Fender. I keep the stanchions liberally covered with silicone spray to stop the mud sticking and always wipe them clean before each ride.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

monogramman – Member
    Float 150s take a small mate. Your welcome to try mine if you want.

nice one mate, but just been shop bought one in small!

didnt ever notice you had one on, take it, it works pretty well round are way then?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

and cheers chief for info, i could have had a bender fender, but it looks naff so gone for this first off…..sticking my RQ’s on now f&r, just seen a purgatory first hand in the shop, they look a good size, but the sidewalls are pretty thin for tubeless, side by side compared to a UST maxxis in the shop it was almost double the difference in thickness…..they do say they are a light mud/loose tyre on the package, so if my RQ doesnt work out that well i can always get them instead!

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yep 140mm forks are a small Neo guard. I prefer a crud catcher though, for the same reason as above crap accumulating round seals.

chiefgrooveguru

Oscillate, I now have an RQ 2.2 BC UST on the back too and am going to brave the foulest of weather tomorrow to try it up, along and down everything within riding distance!

hambl90
    Free Member

I have a 150mm revelation and I use a small neoguard which is perfect In my opinion, stops about 90% of the crap , also used a fender bender which I didn’t like , stopped about 20% in the face and made a noise once the tyre got muddy.

M6TTF
    Free Member

As others have done, made my own fender bender out of polyprop folder cover. They even have nice templates to print out on google images for ref.

matt1986
    Free Member

Split an old inner tube and cut 4 holes and zip tie that it to your fork just double the inner tube at the bottom and there you go just as good and free

widge34
    Free Member

I was out with a rider last weekend who had a £60 Powa dfender on. Their wheel stopped rotating because mud got stuck between wheel and mudguard.those mudguards are so close to the tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘RRP Neoguard Fork Mud Guard’ is closed to new replies.