Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • RP23 shock set up issues (do I need a tune and which)
  • hora
    Free Member

Basically I bought the frame separate (Meta 5) and a RP23 Kashima boost tune shock). The Tune is M/M but I’m sure it could be better/perform better.

Basically if I run the PSI high the shock is fine- runs great in a straight line but wallows when leaning/cornering etc. It doesn’t wallow consistently either.

Is the shock faulty? Does it need a different tune? Help! I’m an utter-shock tuning muppet I admit too.

I’m 220lb and have tried a range between 180-230psi and it still ‘collapses’/wallows in odd places.

Should I have a high compression tune to help it sit higher?

toons
    Free Member

Have you looked at the volume spacers? That stopped mine blowing through the travel, not sure if that’s the same problem as you.

BadlyWiredDog

Try fitting a volume reduction spacer before you get involved in expensive tuning exercises – it may be that the shock tune is wrong for the frame anyway, but RP23s are notorious for blowing through their travel particularly with the HV can fitted.

If that doesn’t help, try LoCo or got to TFT for a Push tune.

hora
    Free Member

Actually- possibly yes. It goes through its travel really quickly. It feels like I can never have enough air in when I’m riding. From Mojo? will have a look ta

xiphon
    Free Member

Perhaps adjust your riding slightly, to accommodate for a new suspension design?

Reset the rebound/lever to zero, set the sag correctly, then go ride a similar (ideally the same) trail back-to-back, while making minor adjustments….

You’ll soon find the settings which suit you…

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

My mates meta 5.5 (2010 vintage) has a RP2 with a M/M tune, with a low volume can, so I don’t think the tune is the problem, maybe try volume adjust spacers if it has a high volume can on it..

LoCo
    Free Member

http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html setup guide.

Volume spacer will help with mid end of stroke support, when was it last serviced too?

twang
    Free Member

I stuck a HV boostvalve jobby on my five and that was very wallowy even at high pressures. Much better now with volume reducer in, does make it harsher over small bumps though.

toons
    Free Member

Hora, I’ve got either a small or large spacer, £8 posted if your interested. They’re from this kit

greeble
    Free Member

sounds like you need a new bike.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Has it got the boost valve pressure printed on it?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Out of interest, why are spacers suddenly all the rage? What’s wrong with the RP23 out of the box?

Playing devil’s advocate to some extent, as I’m on my second RP23 with Boostvalve (on a SC BLT), the first was fine, the second has some of the symptoms above – I can easily bottom it out at the recommended 130 psi.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Save yourself some pennies and get bodging

LoCo
    Free Member

Out of interest, why are spacers suddenly all the rage? What’s wrong with the RP23 out of the box?

Nothing wrong with them as such, just some manufacturers stock tunes & air can volumes can be a little to linear.

hora
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive – Member
    Save yourself some pennies and get bodging

This text says mine should be ok then?

Did this awhile back and have since moved on to coil shocks. Nothing new as it’s based on a similar mod online while searching for the solution to a wallowy mid stroke and bottoming out easy on my RP23

Apparently the new 2010 RP23 with boost valve is supposed to solve the problem

Its this shock- as new so the boost valve should have sorted it?:

Has it got the boost valve pressure printed on it?

Boost valve tune = 225

toons – Member
    Hora, I’ve got either a small or large spacer, £8 posted if your interested. They’re from this kit

large from the non-CTD?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I spent a very interesting (and long) day at cwm-carn a few years ago with Orange and Mojo testing various combinations of damping tune/air volume/boost valve pressure.Doing back to back runs on different set ups.Made me realise that there is more than one way to achieve an outcome and is’nt really one magic solution that covers all styles/preferences.

LoCo
    Free Member

Made me realise that there is more than one way to achieve an outcome and is’nt really one magic solution that covers all styles/preferences.

True, various ways to skin a badger etc. 😉

binners

Have you considered a hardtail? Oh… erm….

😆

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Apparently the new 2010 RP23 with boost valve is supposed to solve the problem

Regardless of marketing bumpf, it sounds like you are experiencing the problems that this mod fixes~ worth giving it a try as it takes about 20 mins tops.

hora
    Free Member

toons – Member

I can’t believe how bloody simple it was to fit. Heres the old (left)/new. Took under 5mins without referring to instructions. First ride last night at a pumptrack/berms etc and I can actually trust the bike now. Mid bend etc it doesn’t suddenly squat/wallow or act odd. I was actually leaning enough to the point I was drifting. Cheers. If anyone comes across this and procrastinates themselves. DONT

Bagstard
    Free Member

I did a similar thing adding tuning bands to my Monarch and it has made a real difference for the better.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘RP23 shock set up issues (do I need a tune and which)’ is closed to new replies.