Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • RP23 – OEM from a bike versus shop bought
  • Sidney
    Free Member

I have had my grubby eyes on an RP23 for my bike for a while now.

People are either selling unused shocks from their bikes or ones bought from a shop. Is there a difference in these shocks? I spoke to someone recently who said suntour make the OEM version of fox shocks whilst fox make the ones that are sold in shops. This guys worked in the industry a while but I think he might have his wires crossed. Anyone else heard this or know of a difference?

Cheers

khani
    Free Member

fox make all fox shocks, only problem with one off a bike is what its tuned for, eg orange 5's have a high compression tune and a medium rebound tune, depends what its off

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what length are you after? got a 200 x 50 for sale

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fozzybear
    Free Member

you have to make sure the shock is "setup" for your frame.

they come with one of three rebound settings and one of 3 compression settings.
    i would check what your frame needs ideally before buying or ordering one..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the rebound setting is user determined nowt to do with the setup

fozzybear
    Free Member

sorry but your wrong..

rp23 (as did rp3's)
    have tuning levels on rebound and compression.
    your talking about the rebound adjuster which is an adjustment within the range of rebound set for the shock

there are red and blue blocks on the edge of the air can..
    here

that is level 1 of 3 for rebound
    (in a red box)
    and here

that is level 2 of 3 of compression
    (a blue box)
    the colour boxes match adjusters on Fox forks and shocks with the colour of the tune on the sticker.
    something like a heckler needs a level 1 rebound and a 1 or 2 compression where as a VP or pivot link bike needs a 2 or 3 rebound and a level 3 compression tune.

don't believe me ? ask your frame manufacturer or speak to mojo.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

fair play – i appologise

Sidney
    Free Member

Thanks for the good advice guys. I've requested the settings for my bike as one of the higher end ones came with the RP23.

ROFL – Thanks for the offer and I had noticed your post in the classifieds – correct size but I've seen some new ones for a good price that i'm interested.

scruff
    Free Member

Although you may not need those recommended settings if you are not an 'Average' rider- weight, riding style etc etc.

fozzybear
    Free Member

weight should have less of an effect on those box'd values on the air can, weight is tuned via the air and rebound adjuster.

the tune on the shock is a tune for the frame and suspension design single pivot designs need a slower rebound "range" but a higher compression (sometimes depends on stroke ratio) where as linkage driven designs need a faster rebound range and increased compression range, you tune for weight via your air pressure on all these options the tune defines the range that the shock operates in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘RP23 – OEM from a bike versus shop bought’ is closed to new replies.