Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Royston, HERTS – any riders/good bridleway routes nearby?
  • dizcostix
    Free Member

As above…searching out riding folk

trb
    Free Member

I used to live there, don’t any more though, and no, I won’t tell you how I escaped 🙂

Quick blast :
    Up past the heath (throughh the estate just before the heath), to Therfield, down through Therfield, there’s a Bridleway on the right (easy to miss), follow that all the way down. Pop back onto the road and back through the village (stop for pint) & back down the heath (some cheeky bits at the top of the heath if it’s quiet)

Long ride :
    Head North, over the trainline, before you get to bassingborn pick up the bridleway that runs parallel to the train line all the way to Baldock. Into Baldock and out the other side
    A)take some twists & turns through the villages and bridleways back to Therfield & Royston
    B) head over to Buntingford and take some twists & turns through the villages and bridleways to Barkway, Barley & home. there is an almost interesting descent parallel to the B1039 back into town

Fun ride :
    Catch train to Baldock, ride to Chicksands, have fun, go home same way.

trb
    Free Member

Tour of the Cornfields is on your doorstep.
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/74830/Tour-of-the-Cornfields

Or buy a BMX and get yourself down to the Royston Rockets track

benslow
    Free Member

Tour of the Cornfields is an ace event – done it twice now.

You’ve plenty of trails around Royston including the rambling around the icknield way, but for some hillier stuff you need to go South West a few miles.

Baldock has a good mtb scene that meet at the Orange Tree pub on a Thurs and the cock on a Sat.

Hitchin also has plemty of riders going out and is right ont edge of Chilterns – some really nice stuff round there and plenty of it.

benslow
    Free Member

Sun morninjg Hitchin rides start outside Pinehill hosp – only 2-3 mins from station.

willard

The chap that runs the LBS in Cambourne (20 minutes north of Royston on the A1198) does a lot of local stuff during the week and at weekends. I think there’s a group of them that go out on a wednesday night up here, but you’d have to talk to him to confirm that.

Massif Bikes is the name.

dizcostix
    Free Member

wow, thanks for the responses guys. am inspired to explore these suggestions

dizcostix
    Free Member

Or better still……..anyone up for a Saturday morning ride n guide? 🙂

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

out of interest do you run???

Was up in Royston for a xc running race and all i can say is, any flat parts of Royston??…..too many hills for my liking during that race lol.

MWyer
    Free Member

If you have moved to the area then your best bet is to get a ‘cross bike. The local routes are not especially technical but you can go for miles on farm tracks and bridleways. There is lots south of Royston, towards Nuthampstead and Buntingford. Further north there are great views up on the Wimpole estate, I often do a summer evenings spin up there on the ‘crosser.

The road riding in the area is some of the best in the country. CC Ashwell have groups going out most days and 3 or 4 different rides on Sunday mornings. We also do grass track racing so come and have a go it’s great fun!

Royston Rockets are raising money to rebuild their BMX track which is fairly old now. Tuesday evenings for racing in the summer.

Some huge dirt jumps (official site) up at Melbourn if that is your thing.

bigbloke
    Free Member

If your up for a little travel time from Royston, have a look at Beds/Herts/Bucks based forum http://www.sillygrin.co.uk , they always have various rides going on over Chicksands/Pirton/Woburn/Biggleswade/Sandy way with away days/weekends too.

Most within easy car trip from Royston?

toby1

There is also a Cambridge MTB club who ride out on Tuesdays and Thursdays I believe, never been with them, but know a guy who does – he does seem to have opted out this week as he’s had enough of cleaning down after each ride though.

Working for JM?

hopester007
    Free Member

Does anyone know what time the Baldock MTB group meet up on the Sat morning. Benslow, you commented on this above do you happen to have a contact as I’ve recently to the area and would like to get out with like minded MTBers. Cheers

johnhighfield
    Free Member

As mentioned – Hitchin Sunday riders are out every Sunday leaving from outside Pine Hills hospital, Benslow Lane at 8.30am. There is free parking along the road. Check out the Bikeradar website – MTB rides – Hitchin. Sunday rides. Give us a shout if you are coming!

dekadanse
    Free Member

As the others say, the downs above Royston, leading up to Therfield and along to the other side of Baldock.

Spent a pleasant weekend in Ashwell last year with bikes, lots of chalky tracks and trails leading out and up onto the downs from there. Imagine they’re pretty greasy/horrid when wet though.

hopester007
    Free Member

Thanks Guys, John, I think I’m around on Sunday so ill see you there if that’s okay, cheers Karl

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi Karl – your welcome.
    We were out this morning in rain (drizzle?) & did about 22mi. The mud is a bit of a pain at the moment but I guess we’ll just have to get used to it…

hopester007
    Free Member

Thanks John, I’ve not been out for a while so doing 20mile plus might be a bit much at the moment for me. Think I read on bike radar that you have an easier ride on the last Sunday of every month. If that’s still the case I’ll come out a week on Sun instead if okay

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi Karl – TBH all of our rides are pretty easy at the moment – John

flannol
    Free Member

John I ride with CCA but I’m buying a mountain bike in a few months and I will probably join you guys every now and then if I’m not racing!!
    (21, letchworth)

hopester007
    Free Member

Cheers John i’ve got a change of plans this weekend so the week after is better for me now anyway. I’ll confirm nearer the time tho

timmys

I’m resurrecting this thread as I moved to Royston a couple of weeks ago and got out on the bike for the first time today.

Having been in London previously I was really looking forward to riding somewhere from my door for once but ended up having quite a miserable ride 🙁

Are there any bridleways that aren’t total clag at this time of year? I managed to rip off my rear mech due to to it clogging in the end!

I know there is Woburn/Chicksands/Thetford etc. but I had really hoped to find something I could ride locally without driving anywhere, or is that out of the question at this time of year?

Please don’t tell me I have to buy a road bike!

Also anyone who wants to email me any more specific details of the Heath cheekiness alluded too earlier in the thread that would be much appreciated!

oldnpastit

Please don’t tell me I have to buy a road bike!

That could have been the start of a great road bike ride. Could have taken in the Silver Ball cafe for starters and gone on from there.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Royston, HERTS – any riders/good bridleway routes nearby?’ is closed to new replies.