Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Royalties for youtube videos. storyful.
  • jakeyo1
    Free Member

Has anyone had people form a site called storyful ask you for permission to use your video? Ive been contacted and asked if they can use one of mine, Im useless at mountain biking and filming so I am just curious weather anyone has dealt with them before. Hes the video comment is below.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnXshd4PXO4[/video]

richpips
    Free Member

Royalties?

You hereby grant Storyful a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicensable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in any media formats and through any media channels.

alanl
    Free Member

If you have to agree to their terms (above), then tell them where to go.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Same issue as photography. Most are after unlimited rights and want you to give your stuff away for free thinking you’ll just be grateful for them using it. That includes media organisations, like the BBC.

Lucky they asked though.

If you are just happy for them to go use it, yes they can do whatever they like with it, including make money from it and you don’t see a penny. However at least it’s non-exclusive so you are free to give or sell it to other people also.

And fair enough that you may not be looking for money anyway. I’m like that with photos. I’m no match for pros who make a living out of it and I just do it for fun. Though I do object to people stealing my stuff and making money from it themselves, as I’ve had in the past.

jakeyo1
    Free Member

Well I haven’t signed anything and the video is monotized so im getting money from there views which is alright.

Superficial
    Free Member

What do the Youtube terms of service dictate? Surely you sign away any ‘rights’ to the video as soon as you upload it? It’s impossible to police anyway.

deadkenny
    Free Member

7.2 You retain all of your ownership rights in your Content, but you are required to grant limited licence rights to YouTube and other users of the Service. These are described in paragraph 8 of these Terms (Rights you licence).

8. Rights you licence

8.1 When you upload or post Content to YouTube, you grant:

A.to YouTube, a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable licence (with right to sub-licence) to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform that Content in connection with the provision of the Service and otherwise in connection with the provision of the Service and YouTube’s business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels;

B.to each user of the Service, a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such Content to the extent permitted by the functionality of the Service and under these Terms.

8.2 The above licenses granted by you in Content terminate when you remove or delete your Content from the Website. The above licenses granted by you in textual comments you submit as Content are perpetual and irrevocable, but are otherwise without prejudice to your ownerships rights, which are retained by you as set out in paragraph 7.2 above.

Interesting. You still retain full ownership and copyright, but aside from granting rights to YouTube which would be required to provide the service, I wasn’t aware you also grant quite wide rights to every user of the service. Obviously they need rights to view and post links and embed on other sites, but it goes further into derivative works and everything, royalty free. Which doesn’t sound like ‘limited’ rights as they describe earlier.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pop this license on your videos

About the Licences

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Royalties for youtube videos. storyful.’ is closed to new replies.