Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • ROYAL TRUX…ACCELERATOR
  • sodafarls
    Free Member

I have yet to find a better rock album released since 27 April 1998 that comes close to this greatness.

cooie

I've only got Thank You from '95 which is brilliant. Is Accelerator similar? (If youv'e heard Thank You of course) 🙂

scaredypants

hmmm, I've got that – didn't really change my life though (I'll try it again)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sodafarls
    Free Member

Accelerator is the ultra compressed "80's" album of the trilogy, the finale after "thank you" and "sweet sixteen". It's a hell of a lot more immediate than either. It is fantastic.

slimtubing
    Free Member

try as i might I couldn't see the appeal of thank you, I bought it on the recommendation of a few muso hipsters but just thought it was pretty average garage grunge.
    one of the few Cd's I've got rid of, just gave it to a mate who would listen to anything.

metalheart
    Free Member

coincidentally I just ripped Thank You yesterday…

definitely my favourite Trux album.

never really got to grips with Sweet 16 so never got as far as Accelerator though.

liked twin infinitives also. and that Hero/Zero single.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Accelerator is totally different to Thank You, and Sweet Sixteen for that matter. And everything that came before them. It's an ultra poppy crunchy wide ranging rockfest in a Royal Trux style. It is brilliant, and I'm very hard to please.

hels
    Free Member

I have Thank You as well – haven't listened to it for ages – so thank you young persons for briefly making me not feel quite so old.

Are Sonic Youth cool again yet ?

metalheart
    Free Member

Are Sonic Youth cool again yet ?

good point, how long before we see the youts sporting boutique tees like The Ramones ones?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Man, I felt old when the yoof started wearing Motorhead and GNR t-shirts.

metalheart
    Free Member

hmm, I need to check to see if I actually got Accelerator…

sodafarls
    Free Member

"Thank you" sounds like it was made by a different band IMO. Check out "hand of glory", the "lost" album…It's crap.(IMO)

Anyway, I think Sonic youth haven't made a good record since "Goo". I'm 36, but look 27.

metalheart
    Free Member

The last Youth album that I whole hearted loved was the whitey album…

Daydream Nation had its moments for sure, but not the completeness of Sister or EVOL

I'm 44 (but probably look 50…)

Think I'll dig out my hand printed Ciccone tees and look real sad… 😀

sodafarls
    Free Member

Sister, EVOL, and Bad moon rising, Daydream nation and most of Goo. Bad moon rising is my fave, followed closely by Sister. Anyway, my motivation to start this little thread tonight was to spread the greatness of Accelerator.It really rips the arse out of nearly everything rock related that came after. Lightning bolt have the sound, but no songs/structure. Animal collective have imagination, but no soul (and terrible mixing of the end result). Dirty projectors have the ideas but sound like a Steve Albini recorded puritan family choir. Since 27th April 1998 no one has released a better rock album than Accelerator.

The-Beard

I dig Accelerator, it rocks. Royal Trux were cool. The wife hates them, which makes it all the more fun!

I still think Sonic Youth make good records by the way – I loved Sonic Nurse, Rather Ripped is brilliant, as is Murray Street and I have to say I'm really into The Eternal at the moment. They still rock out live. Saw Thurston Moore last year when he released (or was it the year before??) Trees Outside The Academy. It was the loudest semi-acoustic gig I've ever been to…

Garry_Lager

Used to like Royal Trux a lot, but not listened to them in ages – easily one of the best bands of that time. Need to get them back in rotation. Rate Thank You as the best, but Accelerator is mighty strong too. Sweet sixteen as well, but a bit patchy IIRC. Saw them play at the 100 club in London on the Thank You tour – they were in awesome form, played flat out, but it was a bit of a poncified crowd.

Sonic Youth's daydream nation is on a different level, though. That really is one for the history books. Not heard a rock record that ambitious in 20 years. Thought the Mars Volta were going to come close but it all turned into jazz-prog-fusion bollox. Speaking of the Volta – a stronger rock album than Accelerator is Relationship of Command, IMHO. Interested to see it scraping into a few of these lame 'best album of the decade' lists, came out in 2000 or thereabouts.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are Sonic Youth cool again yet?

They never stopped being cool, did they?

Sonic Youth T shirts (Goo) are already being worn by fashiony types who probably couldn't name one of their songs.

I may check the Royal Trux album out. They're not grunge though are they? I was always more of a shoegazer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ROYAL TRUX…ACCELERATOR’ is closed to new replies.