Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 621 total)
  • Royal mail have binned my rear shock!
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

They may blame the rules on the CAA, but selling someone else’s property is entirely their decision.

Does it also affect sharp thingies? Something I’ve ordered seems to have got lost.

trout
    Free Member

What I cant get my head around is.
    Item arrives atnthe sorting office and goes through the scanner
    sorting office person says it is a dangerous item .
    It has senders name and address. and destination name and address on it .

shurly a letter to the sender stating it was a prohibited item and can be collected from XXX
    if not collected by xxx date then it will be disposed of.

It never becomes the property of RM to sell and make additional monies from

el_diablo
    Free Member

sorry for not reading the full thread, I need to post full frame complete with RP23, has anyone found a carrier that could do this. Was going to use Hermes butI think the box will be too big (max length 120cm, max circumference 235cm)?

Don’t fancy a 6 hour round trip. Help!

jambalaya
    Free Member

The disposal is the results of a “jobs worth” idiot at the post office making a mistake and then the post office trying to cover their arses.

Thousands (I’d wager) of shocks are posted every year by the post office without getting thrown away, this will continue to be the case.

If this happened to me I’d pursue very vigorously with the PO and I would ado all I could to publicise this online and with bike shops, manufactures etc as none of those should be using the royal mail if they can just bin shocks etc.

teethgrinder

They don’t bin the items, though. They dispose of them by selling them at auction, therefore profiteering at the expense of the person posting.

Onzadog
    Free Member

But at no point does the title of the good change hands.
    What do you call it where someone sells something they don’t own?

Twodogs

Shortselling…..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just had RM bin some techwash samples (nikwax) that got sent by a member on another forum.. ffs.

Houns

Just had a deadly package arrive delivered by Royal Mail

USE Exposure Flash/Flare light set with rechargeable batteries from of that there eBay

trail_rat
    Free Member

but were the batteries in the lights – if so thats ok by them.

my christmas cardfrom my gran went awol – must have thought there would be cash in it due to the fact she always sends fancy cards….

plyphon
    Free Member

Just had a deadly package arrive delivered by Royal Mail

USE Exposure Flash/Flare light set with rechargeable batteries from of that there eBay

I’d phone up Royal Mail demanding they send a driver round to pick up and dispose of your package as it’s against their TOS and should never of been delivered too you.

plyphon
    Free Member

In fact I wonder if you could sue them for delivering something dangerous as according to their TOS

Houns

I will do that straight away plyphon, better safe than sorry

coogan
    Free Member

I sent a shock in the post to TFTuned last week through Royal Mail and it got there okay thankfully. Dunno if I would have if I’d seen this thread before posting mind you! Shock getting delivered back to me today.

Houns

Ha! Yes, if we all buy something cheap off eBay that is on their no post list, they deliver it and then we all can complain that they’ve delivered something dangerous! Genius idea, they’ll soon get fed up/realise how stupid they are

Houns

(Coogan, you free 1st weekend in Feb? See over there> )

richmtb

Ha! Yes, if we all buy something cheap off eBay that is on their no post list, they deliver it and then we all can complain that they’ve delivered something dangerous! Genius idea, they’ll soon get fed up/realise how stupid they are

Not a bad idea

CO2 cartridge anyone?

Houns

However it could back fire if they report it to police/bomb squad

bruk

Today I sent some Xmas pressies up to my Mum who cancelled coming down at short notice due to the weather.

Easiest was nipping to the Post Office. Sent Parcelforce. They asked clearly what was in the parcel and then asked me to sign for it agreeing to their terms and conditions. I pointed out I had no idea what their terms and conditions were therefore couldn’t agree. They then provided me with a leaflet which had a list of Aerosols, dangerous, hazardous and prohibited goods ( eg ammunition and fireworks), corrosive substances and flammable liquid listed as examples of prohibited goods that cannot be sent.

Then buried in the small print it states prohibited goods are detailed in the Retail guide but later it states they can remove or add things to the list of prohibited items without notice. It is the customers responsibility to ascertain if there are restrictions on what they want to send.

If I hadn’t asked to see the terms and conditions they would not have shown me them and without accessing the list of prohibited items online which even then it isn’t clear re a bicycle shock other than it being an air cylinder.

If it was me I would going to small claims court to get compensation. Even if you signed agreeing to their terms and conditions you were not giving informed consent as they had not given you enough information to make such a decision.

james
    Free Member

If you were to unscrew the air can off from the shock, and also the valve then it can’t hold air and therefore not an air cyclinder?

I know this falls down when you consider the nitrogen in the damping circuitary but to the ‘untrained’ post office package inspector it wouldn’t be an air cyclinder? Maybe some stickers saying the valve (taped to the side) is not in and the air can unscrewed so cannot hold air or something?

myti
    Free Member

Where’s the OP on this? Any progress/updates?

p8ddy
    Free Member

Yeah… I’d like to see if there’s been any further progress or comment from Royal Mail too.

rickmeister

Set of Hope Mono Mini’s, awash with nasty brake fluid arrived safely in Germany yesterday… I’m pleased as I dont want an awkward chat with an ebay seller due to a non arrival…

davidxbrown
    Free Member

RM delivered a box of CO2 gas cartridges today, nothing on the package to indicate what was inside, luck?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Parcel Farce delivered 4 cans of aerosol glue to work today. Nothing on the box about contents. Not specially wrapped up, came from RS Components. They must sell lots of canned items, like oils and thinners etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So, what happened at the auction?

onehundredthidiot

I received items and the box was full of items with gas under pressure. Both in bubble wrap and blown polystyrene, who should I call?

stumpy01

Bought a replacement Kindle battery the other day from a third-party seller on Amazon.
    Li-Ion battery delivered with no kind of warning on the packaging, sent in just a jiffy bag.

Have previously ordered rechargeable AA’s from Amazon with no warnings on the pack and normal Duracell AA’s too, also with no warnings.

Interested to hear if there’s been any further movement on this?

chip
    Free Member

Apparently no rear shocks at the auction (what I read here , did not trawl through the thousands of items myself)

So maybe some lucky postie’s got a positively plush ride right now, And just waiting on a new set of pikes.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I rx’ed a new iPhone battery that turned up in a Jiffy bag. RM are very random.

BoardinBob

Track pump and a Fox Float shock just arrived via parcelforce. No delivery drivers were killed in the process as far as I know

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it never made it to the auction, doesn’t that make matter worse? Staff diverting items for their own gain?

riddoch

That auction house had very regular sales, pretty much weekly. I’m not sure if they list all stuff online or if you’d have to turn up in person.

Nobby

Where’s the OP on this? Any progress/updates?

plyphon
    Free Member

The OP mentioned he was going on holiday just after xmas (if I remember rightly…) so he’s probably on a beach somewhere DRY

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is this how they are paying for their increased divided? RM shares at 607p!!!!!

sq225917
    Free Member

Regardless of what has since happened with your shock, simply have your solicitor send them a bill for the full replacement cost of the item. Title did not switch to the RM. So their disposal through auction is both theft and fencing. They made no effort to return nor gave you chance to collect.

When they ignore this this go to small claims, they won’t turn up you’ll get a judgement against.

dmorts

A few people are saying I received “item containing compressed gas” via Royal Mail today etc. Isn’t it actually the point that there is no issue for retailers sending such goods with RM when they’re new in OEM packaging. The issue comes about when Joe Public sends such items, e.g back for repair, service or simply selling a used item

martinhutch

There’s no obvious dividing line between retailers and Joe Public. Either the item is properly discharged and wrapped or it isn’t.

As I posted earlier, my new forks received from a retailer this month contained 80psi, and were in a plastic bag in a cardboard box. If anything, I would have mailed them back to a retailer in a more acceptable condition in RM terms – fully discharged and properly bubblewrapped.

theotherjonv

There’s no obvious dividing line between retailers and Joe Public. Either the item is properly discharged and wrapped or it isn’t.

Not necessarily. A commercial customer with a RM contract that sends lots of these types of articles out is likely to have someone trained in ADR/IATA type regulations and so be able to make an informed judgement about whether it is allowable in surface or air mail, which being reasonable, if RM want to deal with commercial customers they’ll be happy to accept.

Joe Public doesn’t have that qualification, hence RM have adopted the charts at each post office and this (draconian) approach to anything that gets through being quarantined. As I said some time ago, my issue – besides obviously what they do to ‘dispose’ of the items vs return them somehow to the owner – is that an organisation with the might of RM should have someone at every sorting centre that can evaluate and make a judgement instead of shipping them to Belfast or wherever it is!

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 621 total)

The topic ‘Royal mail have binned my rear shock!’ is closed to new replies.