Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 621 total)
  • Royal mail have binned my rear shock!
  • speckledbob
    Free Member

So now people are warning each other through social media about RM terms and conditions while they keep quietly sending people’s belongings to auction. Nice. Merry Christmas everyone.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Mojo have delivered bigtime and my replacement shock is with me now!

Will be using them in the future.

teethgrinder

Well, mumsnet are a bit ‘twunty’.

I shall not be using them for anything in future, either.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Crag – Member 
    “Because the product is charged by filling with compressed air and whether it is full or not it is deemed a prohibited item under the above guidelines.”

Does that mean you can no longer post inner tubes?

Yep and no bike pumps either..

Wonder how many C0² pumps and cartridges get posted every day..

matt_outandabout

Any update?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been telling everyone I know about this and the response is pretty much universal:
    a) how the hell can RM get away with it
    and
    b) they’ll be thinking twice about using them for parcels in future

How many pairs of forks and shocks must get sold on eBay each day/week. Wonder how many of those go missing and end up at an auction house. Disgusting…

coatesy
    Free Member

The suspicious part of me is wondering whether certain sorting offices come across far more “dangerous articles”(read profitable) to be sent to the auction houses than others.

kevj
    Free Member

looks like the ebay seller may end up re-winning a previously sold item

The cynic in me wonders if this seller has any link to RM, however that is conjecture and on the surface, they are doing nothing wrong.

I’ve only just read this thread from page one and I am genuinely taken back by RM’s actions. What is most concerning is if this money spinner has evolved naturally and is a by-product of policies, or if this is a planned income stream? Bigger than the OP’s loss, this could be very damaging indeed for RM if it is proven that their policy is designed to allow them to dispose of value items at a profit.

OP, well done for perusing this and good luck.

alistair4465
    Free Member

Absolutely staggered by this and totally agree with responses to take to small claims court.

Whether the Ts&Cs are incorporated or not (and there is law around this), nothing in RMs Ts&Cs transfers title (or legal ownership) of the shock to RM; whether you have accepted them or not. That they can “dispose” of it is one thing, but it remains at all times your property.

ferrit
    Free Member

Any updates on this – really keen to see this resolved!

chip
    Free Member

Well I emailed Royal Mail before Xmas to ask if they could explain their actions and received this today.

reference: #######

Dear ######

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm this issue has been fully investigated and a response was provided to the complainant outlining our position. You will appreciate however that as a third party I cannot go into detail with you regarding another customer and their enquiry.

Kind regards

Peter Clay
    Chairman & Chief Executive Office

Pretty much what I expected.

goodgrief
    Free Member

It’s looking like this has happened to me over christmas.

p8ddy
    Free Member

goodgrief…

If you check through this thread there’s a reply somewhere about the auctionhouse finding a different shock from the OP’s. It’s not possible that could be yours, could it? Worth a check if nothing else.

The gall of RM astounds me.

Should every parcel now come with vent holes too lest air gets trapped and compressed?

Legalised theft.

enfht
    Free Member

Thousands are no doubt reading this unimaginably mental story unfold whilst fighting a newly-discovered Daily Mail instinct welling up inside their bellies. Oh the outrage!! Funniest thread ever. Shoot them all etc.

kimbers

Can’t say I’m outraged just be thinking very carefully before I post something via royal mail again

p8ddy
    Free Member

enfht…

Why is it a ‘daily mail’ instinct to be outraged at someone stealing your goods? The OP has lost a £500 shock. Someone else now looks to have lost similar. My OH has subsequently had some stuff that was sent to her ‘disappear’.

There’s nothing unreasonable about people being outraged at a corporation stealing other peoples goods.

beefheart
    Free Member

I have had a £40 headset recently go missing with Royal Mail.
    Thankfully, the well known mail order cycle shop refunded me out of good will (big up CRC)- but in future I’ll be using collect+ for everything I send.

Are Royal Mail trying to bankrupt themselves?

papamountain
    Free Member

And yet they don’t seem to mind a litre bottle of ipa in a jiffy bag.

I once sent something to france using “international signed for”. After It didn’t turn up after 10 days I got onto them.. “oh you cant track once in france and we don’t actually get a signature. Sorry it’s lost and we wont be paying out as you filled in the form wrong for insurance” I had handed it to po desk telling them what I wanted and THEY filled out everything.

I only use them if no alternative.

faz083
    Free Member

Problem with RM is it’s a bit like the Mail. Everyone says “oh the mail is so shite, who reads that crap!???”.

Well, someone does, else they’d not be making any money. Obviously the majority of people don’t send shocks or forks, so it’s hardly a concern to them.

Also, the irony of that eBay seller… posting everything via RM 1st class 🙄

franksinatra

Thousands are no doubt reading this unimaginably mental story unfold whilst fighting a newly-discovered Daily Mail instinct welling up inside their bellies. Oh the outrage!! Funniest thread ever. Shoot them all etc.

What an odd thing to say. I think the response on here has been entirely understandable and measured.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How come the press aren’t all over this?

pondo

enfht –

You are Mike Newnham and I claim my £5.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

enfht – Member

What a chump.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Chip – sorry but why did you think that you contacting RM would make any difference, or you would get an answer? Well done for wasting peoples valuable time…and making yourself out to be a self righteous keyboard warrior.

rickmeister

As this potentially affects a lot of us, can this be made a sticky until the Wellers auction is passed and we may get an outcome. I would hate for it to go quiet and just dissapear.

chip
    Free Member

What the thieving bastards valuable time.

I thought maybe that if enough people complained some one may see sense ( highly unlikely I know)
    But if no one complains nothing will change.

I thought a keyboard warrior was someone who caused personal offence.

stoddys
    Free Member
    gravitysucks
    Free Member

I would hate for it to go quiet and just dissapear.

I can’t see this thread disappearing anytime soon!!

I hadn’t seen this thread before but cast my eyes over it last night as I got in bed then lost an hours sleep reading it all…. I blame you lot!

I can honestly say that what is going on behind closed doors just beggars belief. I can understand they have a duty of care but their actions, attitude and reason seem on another planet.

I will keep an eye on this thread, hope the OP all the luck for a reasonable outcome and hope that common sense may prevail. I doubt it very much though.

Just like to say a big “GOOD SKILLS” to the people over at Mojo. There generosity and good spirit helps to balance out the sheer vulgarness of companies like the RM.

In the future I will be voting with my feet and will never use royal mail or the post office again to send a parcel.
    Its reason like this why I support and buy from companies like hope and avoid amazon like the plaque.

gonzy
    Free Member

Mojo have delivered bigtime and my replacement shock is with me now!

let me guess….delivered by Royal Mail??

seriously though massive respect to Mojo for helping out.
    OP, this has now become something far greater than a case of a missing shock and deserves to be escalated as high as possible to make the public aware of how RM choose to operate with regards to their own T&C’s.

KonaOwner
    Free Member

I saw this post somewhere else, apparently written by a postman so maybe he knows what he’s talking about:

“It’s not just a royal mail policy as its rules brought in by the Civil Aviation Authority. You will find similar restrictions in place by other couriers. It’s the flying of the items that is the issue. They would be fine going by a road ie a 48 hour service but i believe the same rules still apply but the checks are not as stringent if its not going near an air craft. Non flyable items used to be diverted to a road service but the CAA rule change now means that prohibited items must be seized and disposed of when discovered.”

If this is true, then it could potentially apply to all carriers, not just Royal Mail, especially if the parcel needs to go by air freight. I guess it implies that all packages have to be X-ray scanned prior to going by air freight, whichever carrier it is.

It doesn’t explain though why RM apply the CAA rule also to road freight. As the poster says, there’s no sense whatsoever in applying a CAA rule to road freight. I don’t know whether other carriers do the same thing, or indeed whether they’re physically capable of scanning all road freight parcels, as RM possibly are.

It does seem to argue for using the cheapest, slowest service you can find, as that means there is no chance of your item going anywhere near an aircraft and, at such a cheap price, your carrier probably couldn’t afford to scan your package even if it was daft enough to want to.

nealglover
    Free Member

It does seem to argue for using the cheapest, slowest service you can find, as that means there is no chance of your item going anywhere near an aircraft and, at such a cheap price, your carrier probably couldn’t afford to scan your package even if it was daft enough to want to.

I don’t think it will necessarily work like that.

By paying for the faster services, you are just paying for priority over those that don’t.
    If the service isn’t full, they all end up going together.

They don’t use a slower van for second class post 😉

martinhutch

My forks arrived from Merlin a few days ago from a courier with 80 psi in them, so if this is a universal change, it’s a complete lottery how it’s applied.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tyres are designed to contain a pressurized gas. So, no more mail order tyres then.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    cfrench
    Free Member

my Avalanche Woodie shock had a problem with the rebound knob (i knocked it against something) and when I put it in the post via Royal Mail to ship back to the US for service, the Royal Mail opened the box and deemed it dangerous goods!

I let out the air in the canister but they said the piggyback on the shock was a gas container and thus dangerous (end of story). Then, they disposed of it, my 600 quid shock went into their bin. No consultation with me, no letter or phone call asking me about it, just straight into the bin with it and no getting it back!!!!!

cfrench
    Free Member

this happened first week Dec

neiloxford
    Free Member

The plane explanation makes no sense.

I am allowed to bring this onto a plane as hand luggage or in the hold.

https://www.abs-airbag.com/us/abs-in-planes.html

Its a full gas cartridge and trigger handle with a small explosive in it. Looks like this:

http://www.snowsafe.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=248

I think we may need to get bike shocks added to this to be able to safely fly with suspension bikes:

https://www.abs-airbag.com/abs-media/pdf/IATA_table_2013_EN.pdf

There must be a similar table for haulage companies on dangerous goods, then include the table highlighting the relevant paragraph with the shock to let RM (and other couriers) know its a legit item.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has this gone outside the thread yet? Local MP? Watchdog? Anything like that? Is there any sort of ombudsmen? I’m still flabbergasted that this can happen. As someone above said, at no point does the title of good change hands so it’s still yours.

edward2000
    Free Member

Onzadog, I think It would be the communications ombudsman.

euans2
    Free Member

Loving how a possible member of the Royal mail is trying to turn this round and blame it on the CAA.

I work in the Aviation industry. At no time can I ever remember a bike being off loaded because it has a so called hazardous item attached to it. If this was the case then you none of us would be taking our bikes any where!

I have also spoke with my local DHL office, they said that they have no such issues with any bike parts, infact, they were shocked when I told them this story!

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 621 total)

The topic ‘Royal mail have binned my rear shock!’ is closed to new replies.