Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Royal family civil list to be capped at £26k…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s all about fairness isn’t it? Why should they live in central London when many Stankhovite families can’t?

wwaswas

I always feel that the civil list is a small price to pay to avoid Tony Blair/Thatcher/Golden Brown being our head of state.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

How does one remove Mrs Windsor from office if one thinks she has given the royal assent to many a law that should never have been enacted?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Giving our tax revenues to support the richest family in the country instead of the poorest. Is that fair?

[ducks]

wwaswas

How does one remove Mrs Windsor from office

wait a few years. she’s getting on a bit.

My view is that the fewer politicians we have involved in running things the better.

aracer
    Free Member

How does one remove Mrs Windsor from office if one thinks she has given the royal assent to many a law that should never have been enacted?

So you’re not a fan of democracy?

camo16
    Free Member

I always feel that the civil list is a small price to pay to avoid Tony Blair/Thatcher/Golden Brown being our head of state.

There’s an intermediate solution, surely. Vote me in as Head of State and I won’t get in the way, but I won’t be entirely useless (toss it off skiing etc) either.

I reckon I could do the job for 80,000k pa and I’d only need one castle.

Something to think about.

mudshark
    Free Member

Has anyone ever done a cost benefit analysis on the Royals? I’d be interested and it would shut a few people up. Or not.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’m in favour of an elected presidency with the last ditch power not to automatically sign any bill place before them into law if they have reasonable doubts about it’s constitutionality or effect on the nation.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m in favour of an elected presidency with the last ditch power not to automatically sign any bill place before them into law if they have reasonable doubts about it’s constitutionality or effect on the nation.

What you’re in favour of is irrelevant – what do you think Liz should have done given the constitution we do have?

camo16
    Free Member

Okay, 65k pa and shared use of Buck House.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Used the royal perogative to create a constitutional conference to write a UK constittion, then abdicate.

aracer
    Free Member

Used the royal perogative to create a constitutional conference to write a UK constittion, then abdicate.

You really don’t believe in democracy then?

camo16
    Free Member

It’s a question of profiles.

Several people have told me that – side-on – my face would look pretty sweet on a stamp or a twenty pence piece.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But how would look as a statue? Would you want pigeons crapping on your likeness?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Has anyone ever done a cost benefit analysis on the Royals city investment bankers? I’d be interested and it would shut a few people up. Or not.

[ducks again]

camo16
    Free Member

But how would look as a statue? Would you want pigeons crapping on your likeness?

I’d take one for the nation on that one. It’s a sacrifice I’m prepared to take for good old Blighty. 😉

50k pa and an office in Westminster with a drop-down bed.

s4rpf
    Free Member

Royal family may not work but they do make money for the country

Estimated 107 Milllion from the wedding week alone, And when I went to america in the summer there were countless speacial edition magazines on it. which will increase tourism to the UK.

you have to look at the big picture

ohnohesback
    Free Member

We used to make things. Now the best we can do is a bloody royal pageant…

joao3v16
    Free Member

Has anyone ever done a cost benefit analysis on the Royals?

I’ve read various things that claim the Royal’s generate wealth for the UK. Tourism is the obvious thing. There’s probably other factors.

it would shut a few people up.

Excellent optimism. Seriously misplaced though. 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

you have to look at the big picture

Can’t we just continue doing what makes Britain great, and not look beyond the end of our own noses?

It’s just that if we start appreciating there’s a bigger picture, and that we’re part of a wider world, we’d have a lot less to moan and complain about.

ocrider

I’ve read various things that claim the Royal’s generate wealth for the UK. Tourism is the obvious thing. There’s probably other factors.

The French killed all of theirs off, but still get plenty of visitors to Versailles.
    Do we actually need the Saxe-Coburg Gothas around to be able to profit from their legacy?

konabunny
    Free Member

I’ve read various things that claim the Royal’s generate wealth for the UK. Tourism is the obvious thing.

Absolutely true. No-one ever goes to France, Germany, Russia, Italy, China, the Czech Republic, Greece, Portugal, Egypt or Turkey on holiday because they disposed of their royals.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Estimated 107 Milllion from the wedding week alone<

Which pales into insignificance when you factor in the lost productivity due to the holiday.

Mind you we do or did have Andy jetting about the globe helping prop up our arms industry – there’s another thing we Brits can be soo proud of. And Chuck always has a good word to say about contemporary architecture.

joao3v16
    Free Member

The French killed all of theirs off, but still get plenty of visitors to Versailles.

Absolutely true. No-one ever goes to France, Germany, Russia, Italy, China, the Czech Republic, Greece, Portugal, Egypt or Turkey on holiday because they disposed of their royals.

Precisely. Just think how many more visitors they’d all be getting if they still had some Royals/Monarchy… very short-sighted decision, killing them all off …

martinhutch

If you factor in revenues from the Crown Estate – in name at least the monarch’s property portfolio – which are handed over to the Treasury (c 183m PA, although probably a bit less at the moment), then it’s clearly not all one way traffic.

Crown Estate includes physical property – quite a bit of the West End, and stuff like foreshore rights along the coast.

You could argue that these are not actually owned by the Queen, but effectively by the state, and that she would not have the legal right to take these revenues back at present. However, it’s not hard to see a historical situation where a more thorough separation of royal family and state would have left those assets, or most of them, in the royal family’s hands.

It’s certainly worth bearing in mind when looking at the full equation.

Liz and her clan as ordinary citizens would not perform civic duties – my understanding is that a fair sum of the civil list is spent on staff organising those functions, rather than paying for Bentleys.

konabunny
    Free Member

it’s not hard to see a historical situation where a more thorough separation of royal family and state would have left those assets, or most of them, in the royal family’s hands.

My patchy understanding of European history is that situations in which a thorough separation of monarchy and state takes place are often accompanied by situations in which there is a thorough separation of monarch and head.

Lifer
    Free Member

Outdated, obsolete, embarrassment.

konabunny
    Free Member

I didn’t think my post was that bad. 😥

Lifer
    Free Member

Awwwwww. Wanna hug?

Anyone?

🙁

mudshark
    Free Member

Hmmm, well there’s quite a history associated with them but not sure that really means they’re outdated. Embarrassing? I can’t see that. I was pretty ambivalent about them really but seeing how much happiness they bring to so many people, such as at the recent wedding, I think they’re well worth the money.

trailmonkey

I’ve read various things that claim the Royal’s generate wealth for the UK. Tourism is the obvious thing.

this always makes me laugh/other.

i’m sure that tourists who visit the uk london do so because they think they might meet the royal family.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

You may well have a point, but this isn’t the thread about 29’ers 😆

mudshark
    Free Member

i’m sure that tourists who visit the uk london do so because they think they might meet the royal family.

Well if it’s not because of the Royal Family I don’t know so many people bother going to look at Buckingham Palace as it isn’t particuarly attractive.

konabunny
    Free Member

I was pretty ambivalent about them really but seeing how much happiness they bring to so many people, such as at the recent wedding, I think they’re well worth the money.

That’s an argument for putting Posh and Becks on the Civil List.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Didn’t the Queen, at over 80, attend something over 380+ events last year – that sounds like work to me.

mudshark
    Free Member

That’s an argument for putting Posh and Becks on the Civil List.

No it isn’t.

brakes
    Free Member

if the Queen was doing her job properly, she would be chopping the heads off of all you anti-royalists and using the meat to feed to the poor in Africa, thereby eradicating world poverty and solving the benefit/ pensions crisises.
    Useless.

konabunny
    Free Member

No it isn’t.

Yes, it is. If entertainment value is the metric for measuring effectiveness of Civil List recipients, there are far better performers than the Royal Family.

Lifer
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    Didn’t the Queen, at over 80, attend something over 380+ events last year

You tell me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Royal family civil list to be capped at £26k…’ is closed to new replies.