Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Royal Clarence Exeter
  • bearnecessities

As someone that grew up in the area and spent many teenage/20s in Exeter itself (a fantastic city and being a Bristolian, I’d say it’s on a par, if not better in some ways) this has been really sad news, and weird to see a place I recognise so much, gone.

*Apparently* the cathedral was a concern at one point, which doesn’t bear thinking about!

How I remember it (often with a pint in hand)

Apparently how it looks now 🙁

Houns

Government controlled demolition. Makes you think.

bearnecessities

Um, ok.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Never seen it in real life but thats a (well was) lovely looking building. Real shame.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It is beautiful, I’ve spent a little time in Exeter this is a lovely space.

I can imagine the insurance company are wetting themselves.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I walk through Cathedral Green on the way to work every morning plus go to the Well House after work occasionally. Awful loss of some historic buildings and will be interesting to see how it’s redeloped/restored.

revs1972
    Free Member

Don’t worry, the cathedral was safe. God would have saved it.*

*Plus the fact that is quite a physical distance away

wallop

You’re a Bristolian!? I never knew!

*swoon*

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Real shame. Lived in Exeter for 5 years and regularly ate / drank at the Clarence. However… Having gone back for buisness a few times and stayed in the hotel, it needed to be gutted as the rooms were terribly overpriced and dated. However not in this way 🙁

Hope they save some of it or build it back up (with more modern guts)

CountZero

Government controlled demolition. Makes you think.

I hope you forgot the 😉 at the end of that statement!
    The fire apparently started in an art gallery behind the hotel, it’s only as a result of the work of the firemen in containing the fire that it didn’t spread right along a whole row of buildings that have medieval origins with lots of very dry timber in their construction. Fortunately no one was injured.

project
    Free Member

The problem with old buildings is their construction,few fire breaks, poor quality fire doors and no sprinklers, dry risers etc, then add in loss of trained and equipped fire personnel,and you have a huge fire ground.

But ever since large buildings have been built, all the above have gradually been introduced, to lessen the impact of a serious fire.

If its not listed let it go and rebuild something on the site that will help the community as a whole.

ferrals
    Free Member

Very sad, spent a lot of time in Exeter, love the place. Glad to see the pub next door looks ok

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glad to see the pub next door looks ok

Pubs endure. The Albert, above, managed to survive the bombing in WW2 while all around was ruined.

Sad news re the Clarence, it must be said. Fingers crossed the building can be saved.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The building has had it. It was grade II listed. The fire actually started above an art gallery next door but one to the left of the hotel which was being refurbished. My guess is someone has been using a blow torch or similar and something was smouldering for hours.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I think the interior is completely gone, that’s why the fascia is falling down. 🙁

deadkenny
    Free Member

Grew up in the area and been past it hundreds of times, but can’t say I really paid much attention other than a nice looking building contributing to a nice area. Shame to see it go.

Ps I heard it’s timber framed, hence one reason why so bad. Also a gas main or something fuelled it.

Bucko

I REALLY hope the Well House is ok, one of my favourite pubs

Klunk
    Free Member

Pubs endure. The Albert,

a long long time ago I used to have lunch and a pint in there. Is the drug paraphernalia shop still open over the road ?

bearnecessities

Bucko, although I’m many miles away, it looks like the Well House is gutted too (the source of many happy pints myself ).

Let’s hope the insurance is sufficient to restore all buildings to their ‘original’ state.

Bucko

That’s a shame, first dates used to love the tour of the well and the bones downstairs

zokes
    Free Member

Sadly the hotel’s had it. Real pity. There were definitely concerns about the fire jumping at one point. Fire crews from miles around and having to pump water from the river, which isn’t actually that near.

BigJohn

In my day first dates didn’t involve bones downstairs.

yunki
    Free Member

more woried about the ship nect door althought it’s a shame to se the end o the well house tavern

sprry buco

lucily costa is fuced

most local hostelries and cafes closed due to low water pressure

squirrelking
    Free Member

I presume the claim for “oldest” hotel is based on the site rather than the building fabric? Not really sure why the fuss, obviously those that know it will have a sentimental attachment but from an outsider there isn’t really anything remarkable about it that you can’t find on any other Georgian period architecture.

Not wanting to offend (though I’m sure I will), just curious what the big fuss is about (though buried some bad news)

bruneep

it’s only as a result of the work of the firemen firefighters in containing the fire that it didn’t spread right along a whole row of buildings

Apparently we have girls on shift now…whatever next.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think the claim for the oldest hotel is in relation to using the word hotel ,rather than inn or pub as it was the first to adopt the title of hotel

rugbydick

Think the claim for being the “oldest” is from it being the first establishment in England to use the new French word ‘hotel’… so there will be many inns, coachhouses, etc that are actually older.

Edit: just beaten to it

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Royal Clarence Exeter’ is closed to new replies.