Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Roval Traverse Rim strips ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

I have a set of Roval Traverse, last night did a small 2' drop and landed a bit sideways and the rear tyre rolled off the rim and deflated. I'm runnin an Advantage 2.1 normal tyre tubeless with blue rim strip tape. question is.. do Spesh do a rim strip like Stans that may seal the tyre better ? I can only find links to the blue rim strip that's on.

ta.

It was probably the pathetically weak rim bending that caused the tyre to roll off, so no amount of rim strip is gonna save you.

F***in shite wheels (yes, I do own some).

simonm
    Free Member

mmm, to be honest, its been the first issue in eight months of riding around the Peak with them.. found them to be V good so far….. what issue have you had ?

Just one of 3 similar dents in rear wheel, from Peaks riding with reasonably high pressures and only about 4 months use.

My LBS says they've had a few in with dents and trueing issues. Never had rims like it in 15 years of riding MTB's.

iain1775
    Free Member

is the blue tape no the same as Stans just a different colour?
    After all didnt Spesh rip the rims off Stans Olympics and got threatened with legal action in the states over it?
    If not just use Stans tape, should work just as well

Northwind

Mine are rock solid, I did manage to break one spoke and bend another by smashing into a rock on the fort william downhill on a hardtail, but then since I couldn't find a replacement I just carried on for another day and a half of riding including another 8 runs down the hill, and the wheels stayed in decent shape. Replaced the spokes and retrued and they're happy again. I don't hammer kit too badly usually but they've been ace, I wouldn't begrudge them a few dents but they've got absolutely none even after rolling down rocky trails with no air in the back tyre.

Anyway. Never had any issues here myself, I replaced the blue tape with yellow stans tape after I knackered it and it's, well, pretty much identical in performance. Never had a tyre slip, in fact I've hurt my thumbs removing tyres 😉 I don't use UST myself but I do have fairly tight fitting regular tyres. It's the bead of the rim that holds the tyre so that could be awkward to improve, if you use extra tape to tighten up the tyre fit you'll probably end up making the bead itself less effective.

simonm
    Free Member

what tyres you running northwind ?

Northwind

Usually Nevegals. Kenda say "No sealant" but it doesn't seem to matter so far. Same results with the Excavator and Small Blocks though. They work really well on these rims, not stupidly tight, just comfortably tight.

FuzzyWuzzy

My Traversees have been fine (had them around a year), no damage to them at all and still running true (despite my 15 stone and lack of skills). I've only had 2 issues with them – the freewheel body is made of cheese (badly scored after removing cassette) and the blue rim strips + valve combo is pants. I always had issues with leaking around the valve and ended up switching to Stans rim strips (rhyno lite model) which whilst expensive have worked perfectly since.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Simon – I had a set for 18 months and had this same problem. I tried using a Stans rim strip but that only gave limited success as I couldn't get a strip that was the perfect width. The problem is as TAFKNA says – the wheels, while strong overall, are very flexy. I ended up with a few dings in my rear as well and in the end I gave up trying to run them tubeless and just ran the rear with a tube. I had issues with the front once or twice also.

simonm
    Free Member

mmm, thanks for the feedback all. Intresting about leeking around the valves, I had that issue to but only when I'd used the non spesh valve. I'll stick a rimstrip on and see how it goes OR may try running a 2bliss tyre on the back and see if thats better.

Cheers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Roval Traverse Rim strips ?’ is closed to new replies.