• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Routes South of Glasgow.
  • Spin
    Free Member

In Strathaven over Christmas and struggling for riding inspiration. Can anyone suggest some routes? Don’t mind driving a bit and don’t mind what level of difficulty or even a bit of road to link off road sections but would like interesting scenery if possible!

Ta

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I tend to do a loop around the Whitelees wind farm (cycling distance from Strathaven) although it’s mostly gravel there’s a decent decent down to Carrot Farm/Eaglesham-check Strava for the exact location and from there it’s 15-20mims to Cathkin Braes. There’s also a (pretty crap) mtb/pump/skills trail up by the visitor centre area, also doable from S’ven. It’s a bugger up there when it’s windy, so I’d maybe just drive to Cathkin if that’s the case.

Edit: but if it’s scenery you’re after Arran or Arrochar/Ben Lomond for a day out

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions.

I was really looking for natural stuff to further south as I’m pretty familiar with the stuff closer to and north of glasgow.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Hmm ok, how about a 50km ish loop starting at Drumnlanrig, heading north up the river, taking the SUW around to the old mining trails and Wanlockhead, up Lowther Hill and the nice ST return from near the summit. A great day out, even got the trails at Drumlamrig castle if you’re bored

Spin
    Free Member

That sounds good.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Good write up and route guide here

Gold rush

Trekster

That pic 2nd down in the Gold Rush report is Enterkin Glen;
    Another view;

P5130380 by john_henry_mtb, on Flickr

Coming from the north might be better starting in Wanlockhead 💡
    http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/United-Kingdom/Carronbridge-Dumfries-and-Galloway-Scotland/Wanlockhead-Gold-Rush-18052010/elevationmap.aspx

If you wanted to cut out most of the road stuff on that route you could also start in Sanquhar and follow the Southern Upland Way to Wanlockhead. Then up the hill towards the masts and take the turn as for Enterkin but carry on straight ahead to the next hill which is marked with a view point symbol on OS78 Nithsdale, East Mount Lowther. Follow the track contouring around(below summit)this. There is a vague track taking you over Threehope down to Glenim, then follow the estate track to main road, turn left onto main road.
    Then pick up the farm track through Auchentaggart farm and along Auchentaggart Moor back to Sanquhar 😆

Few trails around Moffat as well but snow may be an issue atm as with above trails 💡

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

That Gold Rush loop is hard going and would be especially so given current ground conditions. Theres some decent riding in the Clyde Valley and you would be close to Catkin Braes XC course or Newmilns Bike Park if you are feeling rad.

Trekster

Another fav; http://www.mtbroutessws.com/Durisdeer.html

Agree with bigdugsbaws on that but part of the challenge, go early and be prepared for all conditions 💡

Been exploring the hills bordering Ae recently;
    Wee Queensberry

image by john_henry_mtb, on Flickr

Cferg
    Free Member

Bigdugsbaws, what’s that newmilns park like? Never heard of it and I’m relatively local. A quick google shows the dmbins guide which is promising although it does look quite DHish.

thursdayshirts
    Free Member

There’s always the lawmonwealth trails near law if you fancy something a bit trickier and fun…bit muddy the now though

iainc

I live in EK so just a few miles away. Closest decent trails are Mugdock, 30 min drive. Road riding, on the other hand, is excellent !

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Think I might get the OS out and work out something round Durisdeer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Routes South of Glasgow.’ is closed to new replies.