Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Routes Nr Fletching, N Chailey – Sussex ?
  • gp
    Free Member

Hi, I am supposed to be going camping this weekend in Sheffield Pk Sussex, nr Fletching and N Chailey and was thinking about taking the bike. Are there any tasty bits of singletrack nr there, or good routes to follow? It looks quite flat on Google maps but what do they know…

Thanks

timbur
    Free Member

Stamner Park or Friston Forest would be a good shout if you’ve got a car to escape in?

m1kea
    Free Member

Ashdown Forest (all the brown stuff east of the A22) has the potential for lots of singletrack fun. HOWEVER the folk that ‘conserve’ it are a bunch of ******** and don’t allow MTBing on it. – To say this is a bone of contention with the local riders would be an understatement……

If you know where you are going there are a quite a few point to point paths about but TBH as Timbur says, you need to head towards Stanmer Park in Brighton or Friston Forest west of Eastbourne if you want ‘dedicated’ places.

Now were you bring a road bike, then we’d be talking 😉

infidel
    Free Member

There is some fun and quite steep singletrack off the south down way near ditching beacon/blackcap and also around Clayton – essentially from the top of the road running up by the Jack and Jill Inn heading west. I’d show you round but am away this w/e!

wwaswas

best bet is probably to get an os map of the area and a highlighter pen and go exploring. expect a bit of road riding and not many contours in that area though.

faaz
    Free Member

Quite wrong really. From sheffield park you are within an hour of the south downs way, with some decent cross country routes, and if you can get into brighton, stanmer park and wild park way, very decent singletrack woodland decents.

If you have the car, definitely head to Friston forest, disappointment would not be an option!! Also have a look at http://www.deersleapbikes.com/about-deers-leap-park/park-map.aspx – which has some fairly decent north shore in the central woodland.

And what he said ^^ about Ashdown forest. I drive past there, salivating, looking at the gorgeous singletrack and just wishing those stupid people would come to their senses. Get this. HORSES are allowed but BIKES are not allowed due to them damaging the environment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most ridiculously stupid thing ever??????

gp
    Free Member

That’s brilliant, thanks for the tips!!

m1kea
    Free Member

I live just over 7 miles from Sheffield Park and know Sussex well. I didn’t explicitly mention the South Downs (Way) as it’s one of those areas that needs a bit of investigation to put together good runs. For an instant, convenient fix, Friston, Stanmer etc are the easiest places to go to.

Faaz, did you know that there has been XC racing at Pippingford? That’s obviously private land away from the Ashdown trustees, who seem to have their own little agenda….. 🙄

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Another vote for Friston.

rewski
    Free Member

Ashdown Forest could be great, it’s quite thorny from what I remember. I got chucked off by the ranger when I was younger, would love to do a cheeky night ride or even a protest ride if anyones up for it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Routes Nr Fletching, N Chailey – Sussex ?’ is closed to new replies.