Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Routes near Staithes, Yorkshire?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Hello all – booked a cottage in the vague vicinity of this place over the summer – any suggestions for rides in the area? Will most likely be taking the road bikes to be honest, although a CX might be an option by then but that would mean Mrs M would have to be on an out and out MTB rather than her road bike.

Given Mrs M will be with me I doubt any of the rides we do will be mega long (30-40 miles tops I imagine) but I could get to sneak out on my own at least once for a blast somewhere so could go for a bit longer.

Any thoughts, suggestions, where to avoid, where’s to definitely aim for?

TIA, as ever, cheers.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

A cx/mtb (with skinnyish tyres) would be ideal to follow the Whitby – Scarborough cycle path and the network of coastal roads and (whisper it) coastal footpath in that neck of the woods. This might be a nice way to spend time on the bike with someone who doesn’t fancy big road mileage. South of Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay and Ravenscar are worth a visit. North of Whitby (south of Staithes) there’s Runswick Bay and Sandsend to see. All good for coffee, cakes, ice-cream and what-have-you.

In terms of road riding along the coast the A171 can be very busy, difficult to avoid and, for long stretches, keeps you away from the coastal scenery. You might be better heading south from Staithes into the North Yorks Moors but here big hills may be off-putting.

Take a change of tyres for the cx (skinny slicks) and longer (solo?) road jaunts become a more comfortable proposition.

munkster
    Free Member

Interesting, cheers. I’ve got a Garmin and Tracklogs so ought to be able to piece together something that avoids any lengthy stretches of busy road I’d hope…

The more I think of it the more I expect it’ll be road bikes to be honest. Is that corner of the N.Yorks Moors typical in terms of its terrain or does it get hillier the more inland you go?

meehaja
    Free Member

dalby, big moorland rides, various woody bits, but i like to take my SS road bike and whip around tiny back lanes with steep climbs and twisty descents.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

The area to the south of Staithes – bounded by the A171, A170, A19 and A172 – is basically the hilly bit of the North Yorks Moors – there’s really lovely riding but hills will be involved. There’s a slightly less hilly “coastal plain” (which I described above) and the areas around Kirkbymoorside and Stokesley offer scenic and fairly flat road riding.

munkster
    Free Member

Cheeky bump for this – CX bike now a definite option (since I now have one!) so any further thoughts on whether to take CX (vs. road) appreciated 🙂

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Just got back from a lovely weekend in Lythe. There are numerous decent bridleways above Scaling Dam across to Beacon Hill, also the old railway line to Bloworth Crossing starting above Rosedale and looping back towards Gillamoor is perfect cross bike fare. Take the OS map and just pray it doesn’t rain.

munkster
    Free Member

This trip is nearly upon me, and will definitely be taking CX bike (well, a Croix de Fer anyway) with a change of tyres. Anyone else got any other routes to suggest? Starting around/near Roxby/Easington/Staithes etc? Ideally looking for nice dusty(!) easily negotiable bridleways/cycle tracks – hills not a problem 🙂

Thanks to those who have already suggested.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Routes near Staithes, Yorkshire?’ is closed to new replies.