Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Routes near Loch Tay, Trossachs
  • andyfla
    Free Member

I am off to Scotland next week, staying here, any suggestions for some biking nearby ?
    I want to do anything from blasts with my family – trailer biking – to long remote rides in a small group,
    Any help ?

sorry Scottish spell check wasnt on ……..

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Wot are these Locks and acks you speak of? 😉

andyfla
    Free Member

My apologies for the spelling errors, all fixed now (I think ) …..

druidh
    Free Member

For trailer biking, you'll not do much better than the Sustrans route which runs off-road from Killin to Balquhidder then on to Callander. There's a burger/coffee van at the top of Glen Ogle too.

Slightly further afield, there's another nice option round Loch Katrine and you can get the boat one way then cycle back.

There are some easy, waymarked trails on Drummond Hill just opposite Aberfeldy, off the A826 round Loch Kennard and then down and around Dunkeld. From Dunkeld, there are a number of tracks up and around Loch Ordie.

In short – you shouldn't run out of options…..

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

andyfla, I live about 4 miles from there. Ping me an email (in profile) and I'll give you some suggestions. Should be able to meet up for something as well if the timing works.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is possible to make Glen Ogle a loop by using the remmnants of the old military road in the bottom of the glen – not family friendly tho. Killin to Balquidder is really nice.

Glen Ample is another non family friendly route. ( south to north) I dunno about the possible return to callender via Glen Vorlich tho

andyfla
    Free Member

Cheers all, thanks for your help
    Captain, email sent

AlasdairMc

TJ – Glen Vorlich N to S is a slog on the way up and with a lack of path on the way down until the river meets the one coming down from the watershed to the West. At that point though it becomes great fun.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Glen Vorlich S to N is also much hike a bike but a good run down to Loch Earnside. After Glen ample, better to return to Callendar by the Sustrans route.

Kunstler

I've been eyeing up the Loch Tay two day route in the Kenny Wilson book. Crieff – Callander – Killin – Crieff. You could start that route from where you are staying – join it at Ardtalnaig just a few miles down Loch Tay.

There's plenty of family biking around Callander. Along the sustrans trail to Loch Lubnaig to Strathyre or along Loch Venachar and Loch Achray on quiet road/easy paths. If you bike up to Loch Drunkie there are sound sculptures to play on around the Loch.

matt_outandabout

Wave as you pass my house (back garden is the old railway line into Killin that the sustrans route follows.

convert

Have a chat with Katie in the outdoor shop in Killin – she might have a few ideas. She rents out bikes,so will answer these questions often. I've spent a lot of time around Loch Tay (friends with a log cabin at the other end) but never really found anything too extreme in the area that tickled my fancy. Road biking on the other hand is excellent.My fav is always up Glen Lochay to Kenknock, up over the top on what is actually a metalled road into Glen Lyon then west down Glen Lyon to Bridge of Balgie and either back up over the top via the Ben Lawers visitor centre or just carry on to Kenmore.

AlasdairMc

Kunstler – FYI the bridge at Arivurichardich (just before you come into Callander) was washed away, it's probably a thigh deep fording if you find the right part. Good fun though.

andyfla
    Free Member

cheers all once again, sounds like boith bikes need to be taken and lots of pleading with the wife for riding time

Kunstler

Thanks for the info Alasdair. It'll be a few weeks before I'll be able to do that route, hopefully after a dry spell. I'll have camping gear in a cargo trailer and possibly Mrs K riding with me. We like playing in rivers.

Sorry for the hijack but I'd just add for non-biking family stuff I'd recommend the white water rafting trips from Aberfeldy. Good fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Routes near Loch Tay, Trossachs’ is closed to new replies.