Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Routes near Kingsbridge in Devon
  • rnewell1973
    Free Member

I'm going there for a week on holiday and wondering whether to take my MTB. Does anyone know any good routes in that area that they'd be happy to share?

Cheers
    rich

Terry-Tibbs
    Free Member

Gawton Downhill isn't too far away, I looked I may be there over the summer, any more anyone?

jam-bo

gawton is a good hours drive away from kingsbridge.

Del

kingsbridge is a good hour away from anywhere 🙂
    there's some riding around totnes.
    what sort of thing are you looking for?

rnewell1973
    Free Member

Technical singletravk preferred, rocky descents etc. Though fast bridleways would do the job.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Plenty of bridleways near Newton Ferrers not too far away – had many an MTB ride around there – some of it VERY technical!

Terry-Tibbs
    Free Member

It didnt look that far on the map, pants. Have to skip out of work early.

sambob
    Free Member

there is a bit over towards east portlemouth, perhaps get the 2 ferries over? when are you heading down there? we are staying in East Portlemouth for 3 weeks from mid july 🙂

slugwash
    Free Member

I live in that neck of woods and cycle round there quite a bit. There's plenty of green lanes and bridleways to string a route together, some quite steep and very rocky. Some of it's a bit overgrown at present with flesh ripping brambles stripping yer arms and legs to ribbons! There's also southern Dartmoor around Avon Dam not too far north. If you fancy a ride drop me a line when you're coming down. e-mail in profile.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Take a boat instead!

Very little decent riding, and what there is is either cheeky or as mentioned above, covered with "flesh ripping brambles". Or both.

Great sailing, though…!

sambob
    Free Member

true about the sailing!! if the sun is shining, its windy. and when its raining, its either dead flat or blowing a gale. the latter of the two being great fun!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sambob, for the latter, there's a certain type of boat I know and love that's ideal…..

Love 'em!

161 is a lovely old beast.

sambob
    Free Member

Oh the memories! the resounding crunch of a snapping misen, followed by an almighty bang as the mast comes down. the salcmobe yacht club regatta, love it. but i cant see myself spending 60k on a sailing dinghy. that was the cost of the last one spud built :O i was in the town guide the other year in my GP14 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An old one from Stones (If they ever come up for sale) would do me…! But, as I no longer have a nice boathouse on the beach, I shall not be buying one! (Right side of the estuary of course!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ah so you're one of those out of control regatta types down at Salcombe getting in the way of everyone!

<actually quite enjoy watching it, even if it does make navigating the estuary a royal PITA!>

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We had a pretty little sailing boat but got bored of going at less than 10 knots the wrong way so got a speed boat…

Live right on the river Fal – good for sailing, good for speedboating.

Uncle owns the Old Custom House (pink place on the waterfront) in Salcombe – splendid place.

Inlaws have a Fisher 46 (steel hulled motorsailor) – it's meant to be impressive (cost a fortune and a one off) but it's slow and bloody heavy. Not my cup of tea.

qwerty
    Free Member

45mins away from Kingsbridge you can ride from Hound Tor and if you know where to look there are some fantastic techy rocky trails to be ridden – but you'll need local knowledge to make the most of it – try posting on here for a guide or try http://www.bike-dartmoor.co.uk

sambob
    Free Member

nope, i had to get through it all with a 2hp outboard every day!! although handling and acceleration is good with just me in 🙂 we met a guy last year with a musto skiff, doing 25 knots down the estuary on a busy day was a sight to behold.

rnewell1973
    Free Member

Thanks Fellas. Seems Dartmoor is the place. Will post nearer the time and aim to tag along.

Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

sambob, a Seagull outboard, I hope? 😉

sambob
    Free Member

has been, but more recently a honda 4 stroke that is probably less reliable than a seagull! it never works when we dont need it, such as when we need to get the boats to the slipway in southpool creek i've forgotten the name of. so we ended up pulling a GP14 and a laser across mill bay! not fun with dry sand.

sambob
    Free Member

sorry, that should say it never works when we need it. . .

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Routes near Kingsbridge in Devon’ is closed to new replies.