Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Routes near Darley Dale / Matlock
  • nedrapier

Howdy Peakers,

I’m going to be up in Darley Dale on 20th October, I should be finished about 2 or 3 o'clock, so I’ll sling the bike in the back of the car for 2/3 hour ride before I drive back home. It’d be great to ride straight from DD too, rather than drive any further.

Anyone local with Tuesday afternoons off who likes mountain biking, showing people around, and being bought cake and beer?

Short of that, any pointers for routes from DD/Matlock would be great.

Cheers!

nbt

the Five Dales route from the v-graphics white peak book starts in Darley Bridge and goes through Darley dale. It's a corker.

nedrapier

Cheers nbt, I'm not sure if I want to spend a tenner on a book, specially if I'm getting a map anyway. I'm not up there very often. Havnig said that, are the maps in the book good enought o not need an OS map as well?

While you're on, is this any good? http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Darley-Bridge

Ta.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joemarshall
    Free Member

The Five Dales route is nice, it rides up Back Lane and not down it I seem to remember, which is a pity, as that is a super smashing downhill, and a bugger of a climb. I haven't got the book here, but if I remember it right, you would be quite fit to do it in 2-3 hours.

This is a nice ride, 100% legal, and takes in a fair few of the best bits off the Five Dales route, but ends in a fabulous descent. I think I could ride round it in under 3 hours, it's only 15 miles. The first hill is a killer, but there is nothing else too crazy on it. Some great descents and lovely wooded singletrack. It starts from Darley Dale.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=20299

There is a naughty weekdays only shortcut through Beeley Plantation that skips going down to Beeley, or you can spin down the obvious road shortcut to Limetree Wood and miss out Beeley that way if you want a shorter ride.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

The Youlgreave/Darley Bridge route you link is only okay. It is a lot of road / tracks for only two nice descents.

The maps in the v-graphics book, you could probably get away with using as long as you also read the instructions carefully, but they are not so good and I'd usually take an OS map with me.

Also, if you're not up there often, you might just want to click "toggle map sizes" in the bikehike window for the route I just made you, then zoom out the OS map slightly, click print, and you'll have something you can print out which has the OS map and the route fits perfectly onto a sheet of A4. Print out a couple of copies and bung em in your bag, voila, no buying map, no buying route guide.

Joe

peakmonster
    Free Member

Not telling 😀

joemarshall
    Free Member

Not telling

Is there some good cheeky riding in Darley Dale? I know there is closer to Matlock, near Cromford and further down, but almost all the stuff I know in Darley Dale is legal.

Joe

I live in Darley but the earliest i'd be able to ride would be 5.30. There are a few cracking routes and i'll try and post some pointers later

simon1975

My favourite trails here are the bridleway going east from Birchover (from the Ostrich farm) down to Darley Bridge, and the descent from Darley Moor down to Two Dales which is the 2-way section on the bikehike route above. The descent going west to Beeley Lodge is good too…

Hmm I might be tempted to take Tuesday afternoon off 🙂

PaulB
    Free Member

You have an email.

Paul.

Richie_B

On leave that week so may able to get a pass out on Tuesday. Live about 3 miles away. Email me

nedrapier

Thanks PaulB!

Richie_B. email on its way!

Crell
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack but have any of you been out on the Saturday am Matlock CC mtb ride? I'm thinking of going along and trying it out…or is it half wheeling all the way ? 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Routes near Darley Dale / Matlock’ is closed to new replies.