Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Routes in the Forest Of Dean please!
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Riding there in a few weeks.

Anyone got any good loops? My map reading skills aren’t awful hopefully if there are a few things off the beaten track worth a look please let me know.

Gracias!

IHN

You need a guide, the good stuff’s not on the maps. Sheldona and Psling are the usual culprits for guiding.

mboy
    Free Member

LOADS of good riding there off the beaten path, the problem is finding it if you don’t know where you’re going!

It would be useless for me saying “look out for this” or “head for that” as it’ll mean jack all to be honest. The only real way to go riding in the Forest to get some good riding out of it is to go with a guide, someone that knows the area well already.

When you planning on riding there? I know enough to do a couple of 3 hour rides, and am still unemployed until the beginning of May at least (new job starting then), though I’m sure there are tonnes of people on here that know more routes in there than I do though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Firstly ignore the signs telling you that Sallow Vallets and the down hills are closed. Bloody H&S stuff. Just play on the hill above the cycle centre until some one who sounds local comes along. Its rained though! Got to wash the bike after last night.

Special_ized_Jamie

Don’t mind it being a little damp but would rather avoid utter gloop hence trying to get out of Bristol.

Thanks you for your suggestions, will enquire about a guide closer to the time and see who raises their hand!

ObscuraSky
    Free Member

mboy’s hit the nail on the head. There’s a ton of really good riding in the Forest of Dean, but it’s not always easy to find. Behind the cycle centre there a neat 4 mile track and a downhill which are signposted, but above and either side of the downhill there’s half a dozen (maybe more) really tidy downhill singletracks which are not so easy to spot, but still ‘findable’. There’s several tracks (Dowies, etc) which run from Ellwood football field – which you should be able to find on a map, and Dr John’s, which runs from Mosley Green to Parkend. There too many others to mention, but the ones above are reasonably easy to find and should keep you happy for a day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Routes in the Forest Of Dean please!’ is closed to new replies.