Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Routes in and around Aviemore…..mostly easy ones
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

so heading up top Aviemore for the end of May Bank holiday weekend will be on my own for the friday as my girlfriend has work to do in the local area but we will be looking to get some time on the bikes on the saturday and sunday

anyone got any good suggestions for routes?? I’m happy to do something longer / harder on the friday as i’ll be on my own, but as my girl’s not been on a bike in nearly 6 months somthing easier for the sat and sun would be appreciated

did rothie up to the boat of garten last year had a pint at the hotel and rode back down and she really enjoyed that

sweepy
    Free Member

I went up Glen Einich yesterday and it was lovely. Landrover track most of the way but well scenic. Gentle climb all the way out then a nice cruise back down. Take a coat tho, and be prepared to get your feet wet.

Probably one for the Fri from your post

bajsyckel

[hijack] sweepy – any pics from near the Loch if the visibility was good? interested in the snow cover in the corries/ gullies

Edit- as for the OP and easy routes, as always, the forests around Nethy, Glenmore, Loch An Eilean, Glen Feshie can all be linked in so many ways that it’s difficult to describe. Plenty of scenic places, easy options to bail out, cake stops etc. I’d advise an OS for reference but basically following your nose in one direction one day, and in another the next. Tips and updates on conditions from bothy bikes handy too. The speyside way way also has some nice sections for gentle riding, some of which link directly to the above.

nbt

Out round Loch An Eilein and over to Loch Morlich, then from the Hayfield up past Glenmore Lodge to An Lochan Uaine. From there either turn back and head back to town on the old logging trail, or over the top and down to Nethy Bridge.

sweepy
    Free Member

There was evidence of turns on this, not far from the end on the left.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

awesome guys this is all gold……..someone had previously mentioned a legendary cake shop which was attached to a plant nursery……any ideas?

bajsyckel

Cheers sweepy – that’s handy.

[edit] aid, that’s the inshriach nursery potting shed which, happily, sits in the middle of some decent singletrack which links into most of the suggestions earlier…

geoffj

Inshriach cake shop and nursery

http://www.inshriachnursery.co.uk/

nbt

worth the visit.

piffpaffpoff
    Free Member

A good one that we’ve been doing with the kids is going up the estate road in Glen Feshie. It’s an easy ride on tarmac road with little or no traffic and you can just go as far as you like before turning back. There’s a wee parking area on the left about 1/2 mile before the gate.

Very easy and if you take the right road, you go right past the Inshriach Potting Shed for cake on the way back. Best choc cake ever.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Burmah Road for the Friday? Then with the GF take the steam train to Boat of Garten and ride back, with a wide choice of routes.

iainc

for the easier one, do an anticlockwise route from Inverdruie, round Loch an Eilan, over to the north side of Loch Morlich and back down the cyclepath to Inverdruie. Beautiful scenery, nice trails, my kids love it.

I’d second the Burma Road for the longer one if it’s a nice day – scenery is amazing

back2basics
    Free Member

Inshriach cake shop is awesome.

geoffj

An easy and a longer route here

http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/northern-scotland/the-cairngorms/

The big route would be a nice day out on your own.

bullroar
    Free Member

Get a set of these maps:

http://trailmaps.biz/maps/strathspey-map-pack

from a shop in town and go explore.

The Loch Einich ride is a great, ideal evening ride especially if the weather is kind.

seosamh77
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    An easy and a longer route here

http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/northern-scotland/the-cairngorms/

The big route would be a nice day out on your own.aye that’s the one I was thinking off, cracking route.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

all good advice folks…just order os explorer 403 which covers the local area so should get something from that

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Routes in and around Aviemore…..mostly easy ones’ is closed to new replies.