Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Routes, bloody routes (for Bristol types)
  • gozarch
    Free Member

Hello all,
    Visiting friends this weekend and it looks as though we’ll have time for a quick ride on Sunday morning. Can anyone suggest a road route of around 30 miles from South Bristol (they live in Hengrove)? Friend suggested out to Blagdon Lake, but it’d be good to know if there are alternatives, especially as we don’t know what any of the roads are like round there anyway.
    Thanks in advance.

nickjb
    Free Member

check out the Clevedon Challenge route from bristols biggest bike ride or maybe out to Cheddar.

gozarch
    Free Member

nickjb, thanks for that. The Clevedon route looks possible, though I’ve always fancied the idea of Cheddar. Friends are not fans of elevation, so we’ll have to see! Are the A roads out that way best avoided, or ok?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

From Hengrove I’d head up the Wells Rd (A37) and just after you leave town (over a humpback bridge) take the first right turn (past a garden centre) which takes you to various lanes into the Chew Valley. The A roads aren’t too bad round there, but there are so many lovely quiet lanes you don’t need to use them much. If you want fairly flat head for Chew Lake and do a loop round there. You won’t really go far wrong round there, stacks of good road riding to the South of Bristol.

(Like the Sepultura reference btw 🙂 )

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

If you do want climbing Cheddar gorge is a good one (though not that hard), you can take the first left at the top, follow that road through to the crossroads, turn left and drop back down Burrington Coombe and back into Bristol.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Nice sepultura reference, although I was always more of a pantera man

gozarch
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks people. And Chaos AD was more my kind of my album than Roots, but it’s standard shorthand in our house 😉

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Hengrove isn’t that far from the bristol to bath railway path, which is nice but not technically road

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Routes, bloody routes (for Bristol types)’ is closed to new replies.