Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Routes around Threlkeld…..
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Anybody know of any decent routes starting (or passing through) Threlkeld. Off up there a week on friday for the weekend – not somewhere I’ve really ridden much. Would prefer to cycle from the door but could do a short drive possibly.

Ta

martinhutch

Lonscale Fell Loop up to Skiddaw House and back from the door. Googling on that should turn the route up. You can extend it by either taking in an out and back to the top of Skiddaw, depending on the winter conditions, or a bigger XC loop from Skiddaw House heading east, then round the back and over by Dash Falls.

Borrowdale Bash starts 5 mins drive away too.

Whinlatter has closures at the moment, so only the North Loop is open.

Plenty of other cheeky options, depending on the weather.

thekettle
    Free Member

Thr old railway cycle path is closed in places between Keswick and Threlkeld due to collapsed bridges – detours required. Otherwise as above, both good loops from your door.

TomB

If the snow has cleared, which it should as it’s due to be 10 degrees at the weekend, then a trip over Blencathra is worth a go. Up Blease fell from the Field Studies centre (long but easy push, rather than carry). Traverse summit and off north over Atkinson pike, continuing above Foule crag to the col, then southeast along the beck to the footbridge, push up and descend the Mousethwaite Combe path to scales. Obviously, high mountain terrain so usual caveats apply, and none of the route is bridleway. There are significantly dodgy ways it could go wrong if you descend the wrong way (eg sharp edge!)

drew

Whinlatter blue is also open, or it was on tuesday.

BFITH
    Free Member

is it possible to link the blue (at whinlatter) with the north loop?

lowey

The Fells at the Back’o’Skidda and Blencathra hold loads of good trails. Just follow your nose. Tons of good riding there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes they eventually meet each other as both start from the visitors centre – technically the blue and the red meet after the bit through the woods of the North

FWIW you can also park in the car park below the visitors centre which is free – well was when i last went – two years ago

Please do not go to the lakes and ride trail centres it is such a waste – FWIW i took my young kids.

tomaso
    Free Member

Can I recommend the particularly harsh hike a bike straight up towards Helvellyn, either via Sticks pass or one of the foot paths because it is a carry not a ride. Then simply drop into the Ullswater Valley for as much fun as you like and then back up and over and down Birk Side back to Threlkeld. Should be nice and frosty

BFITH
    Free Member

tomaso – Member
    Can I recommend the particularly harsh hike a bike straight up towards Helvellyn

Done Helvellyn (not from that side, though)…. not sure I want to do it again! 😳

ir_bandito
    Free Member

“easiest”* way up Helvellyn from the west is Thirlspot and below Whiteside.
    Then go back over Riase to Sticks Pass and head down to Ullswater via Glencoyne.

You can then either go round the far side of Ullswater one way or another, or scoot back along the road up to Dockray and back on the Old Coach Road

Or, as has been said, numerous trails to the north, here’s a hidden gem:

Mousethwaite Combe is fun, but busy with walkers. The singletrack down the west side of the Glenderamackin is tasty too.

*its all relative

boxelder

As above plus – around High Rigg (other side of St Johns in the Vale)

Don’t be tempted to ride This BW

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Don’t be tempted to ride This BW

+1

Similarly the one going up Bruts Moss towards the Dodds is rideable only when dry or frozen. It is quite a nice way of traversing the entire ridge though, but conditions have to be right.

BFITH
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, allthough most seem to involve Helvellyn, which I’m trying to avoid 😕

boxelder

By crossing the north end of High Rigg, past Dale Bottom and Castlerigg campsite, you can drop into Great Wood or go over Walla Crag to reach Borrowdale/Watendlath.
    You have to ride the classic Glederaterra loop – gr 2927.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Talking of back o skiddaw that was one of the must do routes from my early 1990’s mountain biking.

This bill still gives me the fear

martinhutch

This still gives me the fear

Quite rightly so…

benmarshall
    Free Member

Talking of back o skiddaw that was one of the must do routes from my early 1990’s mountain biking.

This billt still gives me the fear

I think I’ve fallen of the side of that before…

martinhutch

<shudders> How far did you go?

whitestone
    Free Member

This bit still gives me the fear

Hasn’t there been at least one death there? (Just checked there was one in 2013) Steep heather clad slopes are very slippery and once you build up speed you are unlikely to stop in a controlled manner.

grum
    Free Member

People die on there from time to time so probably right to be a little wary.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t remember being that bothered by it in the early 90’s but I was in my 20’s that, last time I rode it I though ‘**** that, if I ride that I’ll die’, although in mitigation it was winter so very slippy.

boxelder

Mate fell off there last week in the dark. Thought better of riding it, dropped left to the edge and stalled, unclipped and put his left foot down into space (it was dark). Ended up about 50 ft down among the rocks – lost light and a knackered rear wheel. This was further round the corner from the PIC above – 3:26 in this video, where he fades it out. Not bad usually, but can be very slippy (and it was dark and snowing). None of us laughed….
    [video]https://youtu.be/Db3jhBfev7E[/video]

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Threlkeld…..’ is closed to new replies.