Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Routes around the peebles area
  • younggeoff

Hi, me and few mates are heading North for the weekend, plan is to ride Innerleithen and Glentress but also want some natural routes round the Peebles, Selkirk Area. Any routes greatley appreciated, memory map format would be nice

Cheers, Geoff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gypsey glen

I use a different climb thru cardrona forest. There are other variations on this but its a real nice natural descent down the ridge line

heihei

What TJ said – awesome descent. Also nice trails over the Cademuir Hills. Worth getting the route guide book, as a lot of the trails don’t appear on OS maps.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Another vote for descent that TJ describes.

I went up through Cardonna, then from Glenhouse picked up the SUW to Blackhouse. There used to be someone on here who had a page with a more detailed descripion (EuanR I think it was).

househusband

There is simplt heaps of riding to be had in the area! For example; did the following route yesterday – about 40km. Takes in some of the Selkirk Merida route; some lovely tight singletrack!

Email me and I’ll send you the GPS route in GPX format.

younggeoff

that route looks ace, emailed you for the gpx

Sanny
    Free Member

Gypsy Glen via Cardona Forest gets a second vote from me. It was really dry when a mate and I rode it yesterday. We then cut into Glntress via Jenny’s Brae before climbing up the Ho Chi Minh trail and dropping down secrets and lies (ask in the Hub bike shop for directions) onto the climb up from Deliverance. After that, we headed down the old natural trails that plummet you down pretty much straightline to the valley floor. Thet were riding particularly well yesterday but the final section in particular is not for the saddle up XC crowd.

Alternatively, you could ride up the walkers trails off the top of the red climb before the final fireroad push to Spooky Wood. This is a steep up and down trail which will take you to the mast. From there, head down the black until you reach the section of trail that takes you round the open quaried slope. There is a path which climbs up through the trees and takes you over to Lee Pen. Lovely natural trails with a short rocky tech fest off the top then it’s fast and open into Innerleithen. You can return by the riverbank trails.

Failing that, the Eildon Hills from Selkirk is considered a bit of a classic as is the Yarrowford, military road, minch moor, three brethren circuit. Loads to do!

Cheers

Sanny

crazy-legs
    shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The trails at Innerleithen can be combined with the trails on househusband’s route as well. The singletrack he has marked heading down toward Selkirk is mint.

heihei

Beware of following househusband’s routes – the time I went out with him involved an “interesting” section of porterage that would have benefitted from fixed ropes and sherpas!! 😉

younggeoff

Hi Househusband could you please email the gpx to geoff DOT young AT sssworldwide DOT com please

Cheers

househusband

I did so yesterday; have just forwarded it again and copied to your googlemail email address.

kevonakona
    Free Member

househusband you should have added duchess drive to that route.

househusband

househusband you should have added duchess drive to that route.

Don’t know it – it was Saz from MTB Borders (I recognise your forum name!) that took us round!

Trekster

Need to come over and meet this Saz guy. Was riding with Walt & Dawn(mtb Borders)last week in Spain so have an invite to ride.

HH.could you send the pic of that route, don`t have gps/x thingy. Still using paper maps. or a link to your host?

househusband

Trekster; your email address isn’t in your profile – but you can download the full image here.

househusband

Oh – and Saz is a burd. She’s not (by her own admission) one to navigate; this was a route someone else had told her about.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Routes around the peebles area’ is closed to new replies.