Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Routes around Dartmoor & Exmoor
  • stevepitch
    Free Member

Heading down to lyme Regis (well axminster) so planning on doing some riding around Dartmoor and Exmoor (and hopefully the quantocks) and was looking for a couple of routes or guides.

As I dont have a gps thingy I was looking at this

http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/products/5281-south-west-mountain-biking

and was wondering if anyone has used it or can recommend a decent resource for trails.

Cheers

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have the last edition of that book and is def a good first reference if you don’t know the area – there are plenty of guys on here who might supply you with some GPS routes depending where you are and prepared to cycle/drive to 🙂

trailmonkey

wouldn’t personally bother with the Nick Cotton book, not much in the way of technical stuff and lots of it is the wrong way round – poor imho.

i have gps routes if you want them ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    foxyrider
    Free Member

TM – depends if he is into tech stuff – for the most part I lend people that book if they are not AM/techy riders if they are coming down to the area – but yes I soon outgrew that book 🙂 As you learn he rides them sometimes in the wrong direction or misses out some nice stuff 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

How far down into Dartmoor were you thinking of riding?

I have some W.Dartmoor/Princetown routes if you are coming down this far?

Although the ‘moor’ gnarly stuff is over E.Dartmoor :o)

eviljoe
    Free Member

Get the Max Darkins book ‘Mountain bike rides to the South West’ lots of good routes there. Bikeshed in Exeter had a copy last time I was in.

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

Trail Monkey & Crispy Bacon, I’d be grateful for a few gps routes if you have them handy. I was planning on heading down to Dartmoor for a few days next week and some route suggestions would come in very handy. My email is in my profile. Ta muchly.

singletracksurfer

There is some great gnarly riding in the rough ride guidebooks (south West or exmoor & dartmoor one). Not afraid of a bit of grrrr

you get the gpx files for free when you buy the book too. http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/rough-ride-guide-books.html 😉

kaiser
    Free Member

if you’re in axminster and just want an hours ride locally there is charmouth woods nearby …can either ride up there via a steep and long uphill lane or 10 mins in the car .I’m in Axminster till late friday if you’re down this way and want showing or else mail in profile if interested in details . could also meet for ride up at woodbury common which is much closer than dartmoor or exmoor ( 15 miles away axm ) and is great fun and quite varied imho. Don’t forget haldon hill either …well worth a visit but best with someone who knows their way around. weds night rides with many off here are loads of fun.

trailmonkey

foxyrider – fair point re the book. i just assume that everyone wants the tech stuff as that’s what east dartmoor does best but you’re right, it’s not for everyone

dr bakes – i’ll sort some gps routes when i get home

julioflo
    Free Member

Total thread hi-jack – sorry guys
    Saw trailmonkey was posting on here….
    Trailmonkey – a while ago you were looking for people for a driving job. Are you still looking? if so can you drop me an email with details at floydjt@hotmail.com

Sorry to all if this is in poor STW etiquette!

trailmonkey

ygm

stevepitch
    Free Member

Excuse the delay and chees for the responses erm I suppose I want techy stuff what level are we talking? I unfortunately dont have a gps so thanks for the offer of routes but they wouldnt be of any use 🙁

Thing is im with the other half and she likes flowing singletrack and pretty views I suppose I like anything and i’ll ride pretty much anything (badly admitedly):lol:

jam-bo

she likes flowing singletrack

quantocks then. its closer too.

NigE5
    Free Member

Another rider here looking for routes on Dartmoor.
    I am leading a couple of rides next weekend 9 10 September first ride is around Lustleigh meeting at the same car park as this weekends forum ride,it’s on Friday at 1pm I am after an afternoon ride. I have a route sorted just that the locals might have better suggestions.
    The next day we are doing an day ride from Princetown, again I have a “killer loop” on the GPS maybe there’s something more interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Dartmoor & Exmoor’ is closed to new replies.