Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Routes around Bordeaux?
  • bob_summers

Going at Christmas – been loads of times, but not with a bike – I was thinking it’d be nice to find an off-road route out to Arcachon or somewhere, 100-120km. A loop appeals more than an out and back. I spend all year climbing bloody hills so more than happy to pootle through pine forests on a flat path.
    The only concrete recommendation I’ve found is the Roger Lapébie cycle path which goes out in the opposite direction but willing to give it a try.

Any must-do’s?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Have spent every September there for 6 years but never had a bike there. I know in April there is an MTB ride around the Medoc vineyards while sampling wine. You could Google that route and follow it for a laugh! Should be all gravel tracks.

C

bob_summers
    lazybike
    Free Member

The west side of Bordeaux is pan flat, there are loads of cycle paths, none of them are very interesting! For the most part they are dead straight all the way to the horizon..The trouble with flat cycling is you end up riding at threshold in the same position for mile upon mile..and then there’s the wind! At least you won’t have to worry about the 30 degree heat!

bob_summers

I’ll look into that Roger Lapébie path then. Flat I don’t mind, but I’ve stayed in Arcachon and Landes and those dead straight cycle paths disappearing off into the pines did pique my curiousity but I imagine after 4hrs I’d be wanting to be somewhere different.

natrix
    Free Member

There is a Parc VTT marked on the map on the outskirts of Andernos on the Archachon basin – don’t bother visiting it, it is absolutely dire 🙁

On the other hand acro-branch in Arcachon is ace (I know it’s not cycling, but if you are in the area….), loads better than Go-Ape in the UK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Bordeaux?’ is closed to new replies.