Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Routertrackworld
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Our Billion BiPac 7800n router appears to have died… Haven’t completely given up on fixing it, but getting close.

Anyway, looking at possible (high spec) replacements and a few come to mind / flag up in reviews.

LinkSys WRS1900ACS – expensive but gets good reviews, especially for wireless range which has always been a problem when we’ve had cheaper routers

Apple AirPort Extreme – any good for a mixed PC, Apple household???

Any others to specifically include / exclude???

craigxxl
    Free Member

Try and ASUS RT-AC66U (cable) or 68U (ADSL). Had mine for a few years, fast, reliable and loads of features.

It has a very good range but speed does drop off, like all wireless routers, with distance. If you want coverage absolutely everywhere then get the powerline wifi adaptors too then you have a wired and wireless network where you want it.

thenorthwind

I came here for a discussion on cutting wood into exciting shapes. Is disappoint. Still, a bump for you.

footflaps

Apple AirPort Extreme – any good for a mixed PC, Apple household???

Works fine with OSX and Windows. Our 1st gen 802.11ac (must be >8 yrs old now) still outperforms Virgins latest router by miles….

allan23
    Free Member

Personally I’d go with a Draytek Vigor.

Used to use them as rock solid broadband routers when I worked in Telecoms as they just worked.

woffle
    Free Member

It has a very good range but speed does drop off, like all wireless routers, with distance. If you want coverage absolutely everywhere then get the powerline wifi adaptors too then you have a wired and wireless network where you want it.

Our experience with powerline wifi adaptors is variable, to say the least. I’m sure it’s because I’m a relative luddite when it comes to networking but we have issues with certain adaptors ‘hogging’ bandwidth and killing the network as a whole. I can run our internal network out to the shed via the mains but for some reason if I plug anything into the upstairs mains circuits they will eat 99% of the bandwidth, irrespective of what’s plugged into them. Go figure…(I couldn’t)

For wireless – the ‘main’ network for the kids iPads etc is all run on Apple hardware and it just works. I intermittently have to issue a software update via the Airport management software but that’s it. We have to run this on slower wireless G/B protocols due to the older hardware in the household.

We also run a wireless N network using an Asus RT-N66U. This is faster and is used exclusively for the laptop and server not on the ethernet. I’d recommend the router…

AlexSimon

thenorthwind – Member

I came here for a discussion on cutting wood into exciting shapes. Is disappoint. Still, a bump for you. This

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Routertrackworld’ is closed to new replies.