Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Routers – Is a Sky Broadband Router the same as a Sky Fibre router?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have just upgraded from Sky normal broadband to their Fibre package.

About 4 months we were having no end of trouble with our Broadband, so Sky sent out a new router to see if that solved it. On changing to Fibre, the lady said they would send out a new router, but would waive the usual £50 charge, but I would have to pay for postage.

The way the BT Openreach guy explained it to me was that it is fibre to the box at the end of our road, and then it just goes down the normal telephone line.

So why would we need a new router?

Ta

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not sure about Sky but our fibre (Zen, but they all use BT) requires a modem and a router or other hardware (firewall or even your PC) that can create a connection via PPoE.
    Some/many routers have the modem part built in.

somouk
    Free Member

When you move to Sky fibre they install the BT Openworld fibre modem and you then connect port 1 off your router to that.

No need for a new router from Sky at all. When I swapped I also got a free one and just left it in the box and continued using the one I’d had from the Sky ADSL package. I then swapped it in the end for an Asus dark knight for more features.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkbait
    Free Member

you then connect port 1 off your router to that.

OK, so the Sky router can do PPoE connections…. fine then. The OP will still need the white BT modem.

Gary_M
    Free Member

When we got sky fibre the BT guy installed the BT modem and a new sky router. We were already on sky broadband so had a router but they sent me a new one. I didn’t pay for any hardware.

Cougar

I’m sure they only charge for the hardware so that you feel like you’re getting a great deal when they ‘waive’ the charges.

phead
    Free Member

When we got sky fibre the BT guy installed the BT modem and a new sky router.

They don’t do that anymore, its self installed and the SKY black SR102 router supports both fibre and adsl

I grabbed one off ebay to get rid of both boxes.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m confused now…

We have a BT socket on the wall, which currently has a splitter thingy plugged in to for the Sky router and Telephone line.

I was assuming we just continued wit that.

Are you actually saying we have the socket on the wall, and then we need another box

BT Openworld fibre modem

attached to that, and then finnaly the Sky router?

No one has mentioned about having to find space to put an extra box 👿 and do BT need to come out as well? Again nothing mentioned on that front.

Edit: Just seen Phead’s comment, I hope thats the case !

simon_g

Yes, an Openreach engineer will swap your master socket for a new one, that has two ports on it. One is for your telephones, one goes to the new fibre modem. No need for microfilters or splitters.

The new modem is about the size of a paperback. Fibre (VDSL) uses a different set of protocols to regular ADSL, so the old router won’t work for it.

There are a few integrated VDSL modem/routers (the latest version of BT’s Homehub is one) but they’re not that common aftermarket. Doing it with a separate modem allows you to use any wifi router that you like as long as it has ethernet for the internet side.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So we will need an Openreach engineer?? No one has told us this 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes…. they (sky) will/should arrange that.

40mpg

I’ve just had fibre installed via Plusnet.

They arranged for the Openreach engineer to install – he did something in the green box up the road, then came round ours.

He plugged an openreach box into the existing splitter, then connected the Plusnet box to that with an ethernet cable – so 2 boxes for me. However they are both tiny (paperback sized) and sit on top of each other quite discreetly.

He said my old router wouldn’t work as it had no fibre port.

And it all works no problems!

bigyinn
    Free Member

simon_g has it right.
    Make sure the Openreach engineer does fit the Openreach white modem. We’ve had a few instances where the engineer hasnt installed it.
    But yes the SR102 will work PPPoE. You can use other routers, but dont expect SKY to be ANY help at all with that.
    I have a 40 min call with them last week trying to get confirmation of my DSL username and password so I can use my own router. The guy couldn’t / wouldn’t tell me. I got it another way by interrogating some of the modem data. When I move I doubt I’ll stay with them.

Sandwich

So we will need an Openreach engineer

Remember only let a small engineer into the roof space!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

A Sky Rouleur you say:

pk13

No the black hub will do normal and fibre BB.
    And you can plug it into a normal bt master socket. 70meg at mine

bigyinn
    Free Member

@pk13, unless your router has a vDSL modem built in it wont work! The black hub (SR102) will not work directly with the fibre connection. It will interface with the ethernet delivery from the Openreach modem, but not directly with the rj11 connection from from the mastersocket unless you’re using normal ADSL.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The black hub has arrived. Looks identical to the white one and has the same ports on the back.

Mrs FD has said though that last time the BT Openreach guy was here about 4 weeks ago he changed our master socket to the ‘latest’ type that would work with fibre. Its quite a thick box, about double the depth of a standard socket, with a separate telephone and broadband connection within it.

I would just ring Sky, but I know that can be a painful experience…

bigyinn
    Free Member

What is the model number of the new device? If its SR102 you’ll need to connect the white Openreach fibre modem into the line first, then connect it to one of the 4 ethernet ports on the Sky router.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Routers – Is a Sky Broadband Router the same as a Sky Fibre router?’ is closed to new replies.