Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Router bust?
  • paul4stones

I do find this is the best place for IT advice.

Intermittent Internet connections usually solved eventually by re booting the router and re launching the browser. Was all working fine for a few months but it's been doing this for a few weeks now. Everything is connected properly. It's a d- link router supplied by talktalk and am using a PC, a laptop and an iPod touch.

How can I check if it's the router or something else and if it Is the router is it worth shelling out for a new one rather than getting another from talktalk?

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive had to bin 2x d-links in the past. Found them very unreliable.

One cause Ive noticed of my router occasionally dropping and rebooting is not the routers fault but a dropped connection from the exchange while it tries to deploy the fastest connection to you that it can. If theres a lot of signal noise, the exchange will drop the connection and restart a newer slower one, then go back to a faster one when it can. My connection was doing this loads of times and getting on my tits. I followed some online guides about resetting the signal noise threshold at the exchange or something and now its fine.

BTW Im using a BT Voyager wireless router at the moment and its been very reliable since the d-link fiascos.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Paul4stones

Not sure of your setup, but this can sometimes be incorrect MTU settings within the router itself. Used to happen a lot with my old Netgear one. Also try a different firmware if you are feeling adventurous! worth a go….. I used an earlier firmware on an old one once and it worked a treat from then on.

– If doing firmware flash, make sure you back up your old router settings beforehand though as this preserves username password and wireless settings. This can be done in the admin settings of most routers (although not the end of the workd if you dont as long as you know how to reset up your WEP/WPA and username and password)

Failing this, try a factory reset and re-enter your details.

good luck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rumbledethumps
    Free Member

fwiw i find the Linksys gear superb for the price (if you are going for a new one).

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

I get only 5 or so years out of my Netgears. They just seem to die after that.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I used to have a D-Link router and had no end of trouble with it. It could go for weeks without fault, but then be thoroughly unreliable and the only solution each time was a power on reset. I did all the usual flashing of firmware and tried several updates issued by D-Link specifically to resolve my problem. The support was ok, but fell apart when they failed to rectify the problem. Searching web forums revealed that I was not alone. I'd recomennd googling!

The retailer who supplied the unit finally admitted that there was an inherent problem with this model and offered a replacement from a different manufacturer (took 9 months, but i persisted).

I now use two U.S. Robotics routers and both work fine.

If you don't want to shell out for a new router, you could buy one of those wireless remote control plugs to P.O.R. your duff router.

paul4stones

On balance it sounds like I need a new router then. We are in a rural area with slow broadband and I wouldn't be surprised if we have some of stoner's problems too!

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

paul4stones

This is good site. It may help you in the future.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Router bust?’ is closed to new replies.