Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Route Suggestions for Ben Lawers Please
  • Neil-S
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m headed up to Loch Tay on holiday soon and will be taking my bike.

I fancy having a go at Ben Lawers as I’ve seen it mooted as an amazing descent on here.

I just had a look at the map and it appears to be a simple out and back from the car park. Is this the case, or is the trail in question not marked on the map?

Cheers all 🙂

Neil.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

here

I’ve got this one planned too, following Sannys route from that thread. Page 3 ish. Hopefully next couple of weeks

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The best route is to take in both Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlass. From the car park head up through the nature reserve. Once onto the open hill ignore the left hand track to Lawers and head straight up to Beinn Ghlass. IIRC from the gate is around 45 mins, mostly carrying. From Beinn Ghlass a really nice fast descent to the bealach (or col in English) and then a 30 min push/carry to Lawers. Back down from Lawers to the bealach then branch right to take the bypass path back.

Should be around 4.5 hours, with the descent 99% rideable

druidh
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring – Member
    (or col in English

😆

Neil-S
    Free Member

Brilliant, cheers guys 🙂

Neil.

Sanny
    Free Member

It’s ace!

I would like to have a crack at the path that Captain says not to do on the way up. Smooth and flowy down but not sure what it would be like as a climb. Only one way to find out.

Usual big mountain rules apply. Spare kit, extra clothes, food and drink, survival bag and first aid kit so that if you spanner yourself, you should be able to keep warm while waiting for mountain rescue!

Of course, you could always do the seven peaks as the Captain and I did in March. That’s an altogether bigger proposition!

matt_outandabout

Also, can we be aware that all this route is through a nature reserve and european site of special scientific interest – riding in poor weather, big numbers or promoting too much on the interweb (guilty as charged m’lord) could cause some issues.
    Responsible access and all that.

(as you were)

Sanny
    Free Member

Stick to the paths and you’ll be fine. The mountain will never get big numbers doing it. It’s simply too much carrying for most folk on the way up 😀

benl
    Free Member

can we be aware that all this route is through a nature reserve and european site of special scientific interest

What he says!
    Designations are for mountain plants, some of which are extremely rare and vulnerable to damage.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Route Suggestions for Ben Lawers Please’ is closed to new replies.