Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Route recommendation around Swindon / Averbury / Marlborough area
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We’re spending Saturday night at a party in the Water Park and that afternoon pootling round the lakes with family. Anyone got a recommendation for a “proper” ride on the Sunday? I’m assuming slightly warmer weather but hopefully not a return to full on mud.

cheers

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Mmmmmm, as I feared…..

Lakes_Puma

What do you mean by a proper ride?

There are no trail centres (that I know of) in the area, there is Croft wood or stuff on and around the ridgeway

What are you looking for?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gusamc
    Free Member

If you want I can email you (*I think) a scanned 22 miler (Barbury Castle, Chiseldon, Ogburne Maisey one) (TIC – Graded Hard sten)

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Sorry, proper, as in on terrain not suitable for my relatives and their hybrid bikes. Certainly not trail centres, I’m aware of where they are.

What’s the Ridgeway going to be like in this weather?

20 miles or so, hills up and hills down, place to stop for sarnies, views and I’d love to say steep, rocky, a bit gnar, but I am aware we are discussing Wiltshire here.

thanks

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got a load of routes around the area. What format works for you? GPX? Btw it’s Avebury 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

GPX is great, thanks for spotting the typo, very Bristolian of me!

pedalhead
    Free Member

ok ygm

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Well now is the time to ride Wiltshire in winter while its nice and cold.

Park up in Avebury. Then take the Wessex Ridgeway onto the Ridgeway proper and follow it to its end at The Sanctuary. Then pick up the White Horse Trail and take it up to Wansdyke, Tan Hill and A361. Cross A361 and on to Morgan’s Hill. Then pick up the Wessex Ridgeway again and over to Cherhill Down. Cross the A4 and back on the White Horse Trail to Windmill Hill then back to Avebury for tea beer and medals at the Red Lion.

30 k with plenty of views and a real wilderness feel especially this time of year. Ground conditions at the moment are great with all the mud frozen and very little frozen standing water.

pedalhead
    Free Member

yep that’s a nice route ^^

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well now is the time to ride Wiltshire in winter while its nice and cold.

Hell yes! The Plain and other areas of Wiltshire in winter are sublime places to be!

Good looking route, that one. I like it!

monsta
    Free Member

Yeah there’s bugger all mtbing around the water park lakes. You might find the plain a bit windy and chilly. Are you restricted to starting at Avebury? An alternative, and fairly close to Swindon: park up next to Barbury Castle, ride down Smeathe’s Ridge, turn right to Southend, cross the A436, up the other side and mess around on the Poulton Downs. Turn back down to the A436, through Ogbourne Maizey, onto the gallops then along 4 mile clump.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll get the OS map out and put some of your ideas together.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Route recommendation around Swindon / Averbury / Marlborough area’ is closed to new replies.