Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • route planning advice Cadair Idris and Aran Benllyn
  • phyncra
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

Imn trying to plan the 1st day of a 3 day wales MTB tour from Macynncleth to Rhyl.

The 1st day is Machncleth to Bala

Firstly I was planning on going up Cadair Idris via the pony track (from the west) does anyone know a good descent to the east or south. The two option seem to be all the way down the west ridge with some steep stuff at the end. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?Z=115&X=272917.85197763314&Y=313562.1160221528
    Alternatively, down via Llyn Cau http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?Z=115&X=272917.85197763314&Y=313562.1160221528

Secondly, has anyone ridden along the ridgeline of Aran Benllyn – Aran Fawddwy?http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?Z=115&X=286698.35197763314&Y=324368.6160221528

Any beta would be gratefully appreciated.

rocketman
    Free Member

IMO you will need to wear your undercrackers on the outside and be allergic to Kryptonite if you are thinking of descending in a generally East or South direction. Best (cyclable) descent is back down the Pony Path and then hang a left down to Hafotty and round to Abergynolwyn or if you have all day, stay high and follow the Craig Las ridge (caution: not bridleway).

There is an obvious path down from Mynydd Pencoed but it’s like 45° most of the way.

Haven’t cycled the Arans but have walked them a few times – good luck 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

How bothered are you about being ‘legal’? The only legal ROW for a bike up / down Cadair is the Pony Path from the south. Most of Cadair is a nature reserve, the powers that be don’t have a high regard for bikes … just saying.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I ran the Ras Yr Aran a while back. It’s pretty rough in places on the ridge and there are few easily identifiable paths and lots of stiles.

It’s a pretty sensitive area. Personally, I wouldn’t ride it.

phyncra
    Free Member

cheers rocketman for the advice – you reckon the Arans will be a fair bit of bika-a hike?

still s8tannorm- good point. From the above it looks like I’ll be on foot most of the descent anyway! More generally I dont think it hurts nature anymore to be on a 6 ft wide path designated a footpath, than it does a similar path designated a bridleway.

rocketman
    Free Member

A fair bit of hike/bike is an understatement 🙂

Without wanting to get into the whole legal/bridleway thing, I have been riding round there since the late 90s and only once have I encountered a landowner who simply asked me if I knew where I was going. It is so remote away from the beaten track that it’s rare to see anybody all day. No excuse for technically breaking the law of course – I just wanted to put it in perspective.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve no problem with folk riding it (or anywhere else). As Rocketman says you’re not likely to meet anyone and I don’t believe bikes cause anymore damage than feet do … just wanted to make sure you were aware of the situation. 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘route planning advice Cadair Idris and Aran Benllyn’ is closed to new replies.