• This topic has 35 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mtbel.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Route in which to demo a couple of bikes, within an hour of Edinburgh?
  • ahsat

Going up to Edinburgh at the weekend to demo the Transition Scout and Banshee Spitfire that Pedals have (thank you James and Ryan). As we aren’t local, we were just going to head to Glentress, but with FC felling and it potentially being an ice rink, we are also looking for a back up ‘natural’ route which might not be so icy. Any suggestions? We only have them for the day so want something within an hours drive that will provide a good testing ground – uphills and some rocky singletrack ideally, and close enough that we can get back to Pedals by 4.30/5ish.

Many thanks

scotroutes

Corstorphine Hill? Pentlands might be icy too, otherwise The Nibbler . I’m sure James and Ryan can point you in the right direction.

matt_outandabout

we are also looking for a back up ‘natural’ route which might not be so icy.

That may be a challenge this week….

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I think they are due to have finished this stage of felling at GT on Friday, so trails may be open again.

When I took my demo bikes from Pedals I did GT with a combo of trail centre and off piste in order to get a good idea of different types of riding, it was also easy to put together a couple of short loops to try each back to back on rather than doing a whole ride and swapping halfway, so you saw how each one was on the same terrain.

I’m sure you will get plenty of good suggestions here, I’d suggest that if come Saturday morning the reports are GT conditions are poor, speak to the guys in Pedals when you pick up the bikes to get their advice. They know there way around as well as anyone!

bigjim

off piste at gt? it was a bit icy at the weekend but less icy than the signed routes. might be a hassle to find if you aren’t familiar with the place though

I tested an SB6c from pedals and did the below route:

https://www.strava.com/activities/229733677

ahsat

I think they are due to have finished this stage of felling at GT on Friday, so trails may be open again.

Handy to know.

Thanks all for the replies so far and the strava route. Have ordered the couple of OS maps for the area so we can link into some other stuff if needed. We rode Dalbeattie on Sunday, and despite the ice, it was still fun, so hopefully we can still give stuff a good go.

it was also easy to put together a couple of short loops to try each back to back on rather than doing a whole ride and swapping halfway

Doug, handily I have roped my 1 inch shorter husband in to ride one bike whilst I ride the other allowing me to swap ad hoc!

I think I read your ride review? Very good.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Doug, handily I have roped my 1 inch shorter husband in to ride one bike whilst I ride the other allowing me to swap ad hoc!

I did the same! Was still handy at GT as the riding up and down from the car park isn’t the most taxing of testing grounds so we rode up into the forest then did a couple of loops when up the hill, swapping part way.

FWIW, here’s the loop I did.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/216973201

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

i did a “brief” review of the scout, in case you haven’t seen it already. best get a brew on first. it would be great to know what you think of it versus the banshee as i didn’t test ride the spitfire, although i had it in mind.

ahsat

Thanks Doug and Dave.

Dave, yes, I did read your review. It was very good. Liked a real rider view and also such a lack of mag reviews at the moment it was really good to read something so ‘brief’ 😛 I will send an update once I have compared them.

Doug – out of interest, did you end up getting either a Scout or Spitfire?

I am coming from a 5 year old Nicolai. They are going to have to impress!

ahsat

Sorry, realised you tested the bigger bikes! Ok, did you get either a Transition or Banshee in the end?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

No, I was testing 29ers so didn’t actually ride either of those particular bikes.

legend
    Free Member

They are going to have to impress

Well assuming they have 650b wheels the battle has already been won! 😉

I’d consider heading North instead, although I don’t actually know how Dumyat is looking at the moment (probably a tad snowy at least, but less traffic might = less icy?)

coogan
    Free Member

Innerleithen was snowy and icy on Sunday, but about 95% was all rideable. Only the top of Minch Moor did I have to push through deep snow. The lower stuff on the DH trails were all fine and riding brilliantly. If you can find the enduro race tracks, they were a right hoot on Sunday!

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

Dumyat is probably a bit far to come from pedals shop, i’d think GT would be a better bet for variety even if its icy.

br
    Free Member

Innerleithen was snowy and icy on Sunday, but about 95% was all rideable. Only the top of Minch Moor did I have to push through deep snow. The lower stuff on the DH trails were all fine and riding brilliantly. If you can find the enduro race tracks, they were a right hoot on Sunday!

+1

Us too, and we rode/pushed up the last descent so we could ride down from Minch and then Nania etc.

mtbel
    Free Member

I’d be taking a scout straight to Caberston/Thornielee not GT/Inners

mtbel
    Free Member

and def not the Pentlands or Dumyat

ahsat

I’d be taking a scout straight to Caberston/Thornielee not GT/Inners

mtbel – tell me more…?

kcal

no one suggesting Arthur’s Seat ? 🙂

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What about Gypsie Glen? Might be ok up there.

bigjim

thornielee was helluva muddy last weekend, thick clay mud

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Dumyat and Mine Woods, Stirling.

mtbel
    Free Member

Caberston – full of hand(ish) cut technical, steep, root and rock littered descents, the odd techy climb and miles of fire road climbing. it’s the hill opposite Traquair & Elibank (Inners Trailcentre)

Thornielee – about 8miles further down the road (towards Gala).. nice technical(ish) trails ranging from super steep to fairly mellow but less roots/rocks and a quicker climb to the top.

bigjim – Member
    thornielee was helluva muddy last weekend, thick clay mud

And? 😕

what day are you going?

Scout is about the only bike I’ve been vaguely interested in in over a decade, just a pity it has stupid sixfiddy B wheels.

ahsat

mtbel – thanks! Will have a look online and at the maps. Sounds tempting.

Going Saturday – well thats the plan.

650b will be interesting – no idea how its going to go!

legend
    Free Member

mtbel – Member
    and def not the Pentlands or Dumyat

Sorry, will hand over my Gnar Card the next time I see you 🙁

mtbel
    Free Member

Pretty sure you dropped it when you hit that tree back in 2004 😛

we could always go back and look for it, might be halfway down Pete Williams track by now

mtbel
    Free Member

You’d seriously take a Slopestyle inspired bike to Dumyat to test it? 😯

Cambu maybe, but not Dumyat

legend
    Free Member

Still beat you in my comeback race – https://www.rootsandrain.com/race2559/2003-sep-14-sda-5-ae-forest/#hseniorm just in case you’ve forgotten 😉

Thought the Scout was ENDURO?

EDIT: had a look. Would be fun on either I reckon

mtbel
    Free Member

ha ha… the round I smashed my left pedal in half in the first rocks on the first run and crashed coming into the last switchbacks on the second?

No excuses tho. you did beat this old bastard fair and square 😳

legend
    Free Member

Nah, iirc the quote was “that was the best run of my life” until you saw the timesheet 😉

bigjim

And?

maybe it would be a shame if people drove a long way to test ride two bikes and wasted their time tripodding down very steep trails with their tyres and frames clogged because they lack your super awesome mega skillz

Fat-boy-fat

Shh with the Dumyat chat. Definitely don’t go there. Rubbish trails and the locals are really unfriendly 😉

Northwind

Inners offpiste stuff was riding brilliantly last weekend and the lower dh trails were basically dry… For bikes like this, that’s where I’d go, for the variety and appropriateness of the trails, it’s a good allround test and generally pretty predictable. Though that might depend a bit on the tyres, some demo bikes come with rotters fitted.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Though that might depend a bit on the tyres, some demo bikes come with rotters fitted.

HD/NN

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Dumyat’s a great test for an enduro bike, fast, tight, climbs, rock gardens, drops… better for working suspension than golfie or thornilee where the riding is steep and slower.

mtbel
    Free Member

lol

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Route in which to demo a couple of bikes, within an hour of Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.