Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • route in the south peaks with kids
  • middleagedmadness
    Free Member

hi , just looking for a route in the south peak about 15-20 mile without too much climbing for my self and the 12yr old , want him to see theres more to biking than Cannock and forest of dean (less climbing means less bribing of the young fella )or any decent routes around staffs
    cheers
    stuart

simon1975

It’ll be hard to invent a route of that distance that doesn’t involve much climbing. I’d recommend looking for something much shorter around Rowsley / Chatsworth / Bakewell, with tea and cake en route.

jekkyl

High Peak trail is the most scenic. It’s raised up for glorious views over the countryside. Based on your criteria that’d be my suggestion. You can get onto it from lots of places, have a look online.
    The monsall trail is pan flat but very accessible and can tag on with a visit to Bakewell.
    The Tissington trail is also available. The track around Carsington water is good fun, there are several inclines which kids can do, fun rolling down the other side. Or did you want some proper offroad? Slight tech?

Edit: There’s also the Manifold Valley trail which is nice enough, gentle incline up to Hulme end so easier coming back if you start at Waterhouses. It even has a cave in the middle but you have to lock the bikes and climb up to it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    middleagedmadness
    Free Member

hi jekkyl, slight tech is ok , he dosent mind a few rocks and smallish drops but will have a look at the high peak trail , cake and tea work brillinantly as bribes for the climbs

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

hi simon , if theres tea and cake on offer he WILL climb ,its amazing what 12year olds will do for cake and for some strange reason its tea instead of fizzy drinks with him

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

hi simon , jekkyl , is there much around leek way or the roaches , used to climb there but don’t remember seeing much mtbing going on there , but do remember quite a lot up around windgather ( I know this is further up) any suggestions up that way

simon1975

Hello again – I don’t think there’s a lot of legitimate trails around Leek or The Roaches. Jekkyl mentioned the Manifold trail but whilst that’s not a tarmac road, it’s not what I’d call MTB. Go a bit further north towards Cat and Fiddle and there’s loads of stunning scenery with excellent off-road options (Macc Forest etc and the area west of Buxton). But the climbs up there can be huge, as well as getting more technical.

There’s a route in the White Peak Pure Trails book from Hartington I think which might be a good option down that way. Plenty of cake options 😉

jekkyl

middleagedmadness are you in staffs or on holiday here? I can’t really recommend any mtb trails ‘without too much climbing’
    There are lots with hills though! that’s kinda the point. lol
    There’s some small loops perhaps I could reccomend near Eyam or if you have the white peak vb book bits out of the 5 dales loop might suit. What sort of length would you need?

daern
    Free Member

Carsington, High Peak + Tissington trail is a great loop:
    https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/4126055-carsington-water-high-peak-trail-tissington-trail

It’s a little longer than what you were hoping for (30 miles) but I dragged my family (kids: 7 and 9, wife older but no less sensitive!) around it and we had a really good day out. Virtually all away from traffic apart from a couple of quiet road sections. Not completely flat (there’s a fair pull up to the High Peak Trail from Carsington at the start) but the Tissington section is downhill for miles and miles 🙂

(also good pub at Biggin 🙂 )

Also consider Derwent Reservoirs too. Nice family riding there.

carlos
    Free Member

This would prob tick quite a few boxes. 18 miles and about 1000ft climbing

The Chatsworth Circuit

Carlos

simon1975

Yeah do Carlos’s route without the up/down and back between Bakewell and Edensor. Start at Rowsley for free parking.

jekkyl

Yup Carlos’ route would likely suit, the drop into darley dale will be fun and just the right level of tech for a 12yr old, you’ll want to take it at speed though. If you do start at Bakewell leave the kid at the car for 10 mins and climb back out briefly to do the golf course drop back to the station. Parking is free on the road outside Bakewell station if you get there early. Let us know how you get on. 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Both the Grangemill and Middleton routes in this book are good options and can be linked to create a bigger loop. If you’re there this weekend you might even see some of the Y Not festival from the High Peak Trail 🙂 Do bear in mind that the High Peak Trail is a disused railway, so whilst it is undeniably pleasant and pretty, it is mostly flat and non-technical. The routes I recommend above do head off the trail though.

I live and ride around Leek and whilst I’d love to say there’s good options for what you say you’re after, I can’t.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Although this is a monster ride for one day, or even two, it should be good for some inspiration.

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/the-south-peak-loop-is-it-any-good/

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

cheers lads for the info , jekkyl I’m based near Wolverhampton so just looking to get the young fella away from the chase a bit (probably because he thrashes me on any downs either off piste or round the dog and monkey )the climbs aren’t that much off a issue its just if you have teenagers then you will know that their faces change at the sight of hills , he isn’t that bothered on the tech climbs on the monkey but put a fireroad climb in front of him and that frown does not turn upside,plus he is interested in try bikepacking next year so he needs to get used to a bit more natural climbing

scandal42
    Free Member

How is the white peak running at the moment? Is it sodden?

The lineacre classic is a good ride

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘route in the south peaks with kids’ is closed to new replies.