Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Route ideas in Fife for this weekend
  • legolam
    Free Member

I will be visiting my grandmother in Fife (Lundin Links) this Saturday and was thinking of taking the bike up and doing a ride in the afternoon. However, despite growing up in Leven, I have no idea if there are any decent places nearby (or roughly on the way back to Edinburgh) that would be fun.

Can anyone suggest a nice ride in the area – preferably easy to follow as I’m a navigational moron. A couple of hours ish would be perfect. Thanks!

tomd
    Free Member

Lomond Hills should be riding nicely at the moment with all this dry weather. If you search this forum there are a few threads with route ideas for the Lomond Hills.

fasthaggis

Coastal path to St Andrews or pop down to the Forth crossing and have a look at the new bridge build.
    Edit > Don’t know what this place is like

legolam
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Lomond Hills seems like a good bet. I’ve had a look through the forum but can’t see any links to routes etc – does anyone have a GPX file or strava link of a nice route? Failing that, I’ll download the OS map this evening if anyone can describe a route?

Thanks!

tomd
    Free Member

Falkland is a good place to start. Usually I park by the Pillars of Hercules cafe (it’s great for coffee / cake).

Around Falkland there are loads of paths and tracks, and some more gnarrr stuff in the woods. If you head up East Lomond for starters there are a few options to come back down. It’s worth getting the 1:25k OS map as there’s a lot going on in a small area.

Alternatively you can start somewhere around Scotlandnwell / Wester Balgedie and explore around West Lomond. There some steep descents off there. There’s a route in Scotland Wild Trails II if you have access to a copy of that.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Blairadam Forest near Kelty has lots of unmarked but easy to find trails. Lots of Strava activity so go look for segments. It’s remarkably dry at the moment.

Devilla Forest near Kincardine is very flat but has some good singletrack hidden amongst the miles of fireroad. Again, check Strava.

Lomond Hills and Pitmedden, as mentioned above.

Also look on Trail Scotland for more ideas.

legolam
    Free Member

Cheers all. Will have a look at all those options

househusband

Missed this! Next time you’re around in Lundin Links let me know as I am, quite literally, just up the hill.

legolam
    Free Member

Thanks Househusband!

In the end, I didn’t get a chance for a ride on the Saturday as I was too busy visiting ageing grandparents and only managed a quick blast round Glentress on the way south on Sunday. However, I suspect I’ll be back up in the not too distant future so will give you a shout.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Route ideas in Fife for this weekend’ is closed to new replies.