Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Route from staveley?
  • msjhes2
    Free Member

Please can someone recommend me a good route from Staveley. About 5 hours with a cafe somewhere in the middle would be great (although we live without the cafe if nothing is convenient on route!)

Cheers

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Nan Bield pass is possible from Staveley? No cafe stop half way though….

Superficial
    Free Member

Out and back from Staveley up Kentmere (Bridleway on west side of valley), over Garburn pass into Troutbeck. Up towards High Skelyghyll and drop down into Ambleside for an ice cream by the lake. Back in reverse direction until Kentmere, then take the bridleways up the west side of the valley dropping down to the road by HP plantation.

I’m sure there are ways of doing a loop around here, but most of these are ace climbs / descents either way so an out-and-back route is fine by me.

msjhes2
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll check those out

stufive
    Free Member

Take care on the decent of garburn it’s been quite washed out..rideable though, dropping into trout beck then over Jenkins crag into Ambleside..is prberbly the only way to get a cafe stop in the middle unless you make your cafe stop at the end at Willfes

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Nan Bield would be an excellent route from there.

Staveley to Kentmere then East up and over to Sadgill. Up gatesgarth pass. Drop down to Haweswater (possible ice cream van?) then up and over Nan Bield and back down to Kentmere. The Nan Bield descent is a corker.

Possible short cut over Harter Fell to miss out Haweswater but it is cheeky.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Out on main road until right turn to Dubbs reservoir ,up past Limefitt park caravan site and onward and upwards over Highstreet.Cafe stop in Pooley Bridge and either blast back along the road and over Kirkstone Pass or pick up this route depending on time or physical state!!!!

http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/United-Kingdom/Patterdale-Cumbria-England/Highstreet-Challenge-and-Ullswater/elevationOSmap.aspx
    Enjoy

msjhes2
    Free Member

cheers folks, spotted this that looks like a candidate

route

Anyone done it?

smeg
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go over Nan Bield with the current weather, will be boggy as hell down towards Kentmere.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That looks a belter!.

stufive
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be going over high-street either with the weather we’ve had it’s definitely a summer one that we did it in June it’s a belter 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

There is a tea shop in Kentmere iirc, its at the end of a steep road / drive, its the kinda place not signed and you may have to knock on the door for service and hope they havn’t gone out.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

The route you are looking at is a killer hikeabike in a few places imo ,and no cafe stops handy, I think the one in Kentmere shut down many moons ago, I may be wrong though as its 18 mths + since I was last there.

msjhes2
    Free Member

what about this one

Staveley route

Brianblessed
    Free Member

stavely head fell to kentmere, garburn pass to troutbeck. ambleside via jenkins crag, through rothay park and up loughrig fell. down to skelwith bridge then up into iron keld. through old slate mine to little langdale then on to elterwater. road up to top of loughrig terrace. down loughrig terrace and on to ambleside. then garburn again but the other way. kentmere to stavely via stavely head fell again = knackered but v v happy !!

anagallis_arvensis

Brianblessed that it an ecellent route. Would be a bit tricky route finding if you dont know it though.

Brianblessed
    Free Member

Thanks A A,I just bought a map and went adventuring. It was about 20 years ago when I first did it tho. Hope people still use maps 🙄

samcamsdad

Try the Sam houghton challenge route, have a look at the web site for a map, maybe a little shorter than 5 hours but a great route. And with all the rain recently, it’ll still all be rideable, bar garburn and style end climbs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Route from staveley?’ is closed to new replies.