Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Route from Edale/Hope to Stockport
  • monksie
    Free Member

Scally Alley aka Mill Lane aka Alan Newton Way? The Bredbury end obvs. not the blue rinse permanently indignant Marple end.

DFaffMaster

I named it Scally Alley after a Stockport Clarion Night Ride where a load of hooded youths chased after us… I may or may not have been goading them by this point. In over 10yrs of Night Rides starting from the Arden Arms with Stockport Clarion (nr Asda) it’s only happened once…

DiscJockey
    Free Member

So happy to see Dove Holes given it’s true name 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I know it well Monksie. It’s literally a few hundred yards from my house, didn’t know it was called that though!
    The little BMX area is pretty good for practising skills. Do it on every ride.

grannyjone
    Free Member

“But the bit between Marple and Stockport is always very very boring though.
    It’s really not. You need a local to show you the fun. Brabyns. Dale Rd. Chadkirk. Jesus Trail. Andy Nearly Died. Alptastic. Whoop. Pooh Sticks. Goyt Bank Footpath. Back Of The Running Track. Football Field Down And Up. Brinny Tunnel. Vale Singletrack. Tesco Singletrack.
    The last three are not the greatest but by there. you’re within two miles of Stockport town centre and at the end, looking at the back of Asda in the town centre.
    “Once you hit the dull climb out of Roman Lakes”
    if you’re referring to Lakes Rd, I agree. But why are you going up Lakes Rd? Getting a Costa in Marple? Turn around and climb up and down toward Marple Bridge. Less than 100 yards on a very small road and you’re into Brabyns. You’re even riding past a very tough climb on your left if you do decide to go up Lakes Rd.
    “Uninspiring and dull” You’re going straight past so much fun stuff and for roads: You can get from behind Asda in Stockport town centre to Fairholmes with a couple of 100 yard stretches at most of road. In fact, the road in Edale to the foot of Jagger’s is probably the longest bit.
    That’s Pooh Sticks Jonny. Over the Goyt and climb right towards Woodlands Park. Stay behind Stockport Harrers Stadium at Woodbank and drop down back into the woods at the far, right end. You’ll come out on the edge of the football fields. Stay on the Singletrack and you’ll have a pretty challenging Singletrack climb to bring you out close to Stockport Museum at the top of Vernon Park.

Sounds good, didn’t realise there was so much stuff.
    I’d need to see some GPX or Strava that takes all that in.
    I used to think there wasn’t much fun you could conveniently add into a route between Marple and Stockport without having to go out of your way considerably, but would be interested to see the above.

Think out of the above all I’ve done is Brinny Tunnel (If it’s the one on the National Cycling route) and Tesco Singletrack. Don’t think I’ve come across any of the others.

Think I hit the Reddish Vale singletrack once on a route coming back from Werneth Low, but if I remember its location right, it’s a bit of the way if you’re coming back from Marple ?

monksie
    Free Member

None of it is particularly out of the way. It’s not A6 in to Stockport straight but it’s a mountain bike ride. I took a new rider out last week and part way round he realised he was about 1 mile from his car in Marple. “Why are we going away from my car, it’s just down the road, might as well go that way”
    It’s a bike ride, not a fastest way to get back. I use most if not all of the Marple to Stockport stuff up ^ there on my commute into Stockport or Manchester from near Hayfield every day. It meanders but it doesn’t go in the wrong direction.
    The Reddish Vale Singletrack is just the other side of British Gas on New Bridge Lane. Nowhere near Werneth Low. In fact, reading back, If you take the road from Marple locks to Mill Lane and then Mill Lane to Stockport centre of Stockport Rd etc. you’ve actually gone past everything mentioned above.
    Here’s a suggestion. If you find yourself in Marple at the end of the very boring Middlewood Way. Go straight down Dale Rd. Keep going as it becomes a broken, winding downhill road……right past the canoe place until you reach the end (farm house with holiday lodges). Keep right of the house wall, pop off the drain pipe onto the singleteack and keep on it (can’t do anything else) and you’ll arrive at the Sustains bridge / Chadkirk. MUCH more fun than Stockport Rd along Dan Bank. Just one way of getting down there…..

grannyjone
    Free Member

Sounds good. If only there was a Strava / GPX for that route, that’s what I’d need to be able to know where I’m going

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Going to do this ride on monday. Am I best starting at Hope or Edale? Also, will I get lost or is it easy to navigate? Could do with some basic pointer I think.

BadlyWiredDog

Map?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Route from Edale/Hope to Stockport’ is closed to new replies.