Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Route from Buttermere – Keswick… Hobcarton/grisedale pike?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hatching a wee plan to do some more riding in this area, as we had a few corkers this year. I have one particular day mapped out apart from getting from Wharnscale bottom back over to Keswick, where the day starts and finishes.

Thinking possibly up Gasgal gill as I know it’s okay, then onto Coledale hause – Hopegill head – Hobcarton Crag – Grisedale pike – Sleet how and into Braithwaite.

Is it a good un’?

thekettle
    Free Member

Yes it’s a good un. Spicy on the initial descent from Grizedale pike summit. Beware the Wooden Steps of Greasy Death at the bottom where you meet the road 😛

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Certainly looks a winner, from the pics I can see on Geograph.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Was up there with missus & pooch a wee while back sussing routes as you do, looks very techy of Causey pike, we walked west where you go up the zig zag path higher, i looked towards Buttermere & saw a clear path way way down below but I hear it’s vey good coming back east along the side of what would be Causey, good single track, to the switch back bends in the road by the farm, please excuse my lack of names but I think you’ll get my gist, all looks great & a ride I’d like to do, so please let me know how you get on.

rascal
    Free Member

I did a loop in June from Buttermere up Gasgale Gill.
    Quite a bit of it is rideable but some requires some scrambling which is tricky with bike in tow.
    From Coledale Hause there’s a minor summit on route to Grisedale Pike – I did it in that order followed by Hopegill Head, Sand Hill, Grasmoor, Whiteless Pike and back into Buttermere.
    You could do as you suggest but it will be a hell of a slog up the scree of Sand Hill but great after that 😉
    Bet the descent off GP would be awesome.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

rascal, the scrambling on Gasgale gill is on the lower path, I reckon if you take the slightly higher path just after the bridge you avoid those.

Sand hill hike a bike doesn’t look that long, and it’ll be the last hoof of the day, so we can live with that.

boxelder

Not sure how Sand Hill will be last on way to Keswick? From Coledale Hause, there’s an obvious direct path up Grisedale Pike, missing Hopegill and Sand Hill.

lowey

Not too sure what Gasgale will be like after the flooding. I know it got pretty washed away back in 2009.

justinbieber

There’s no really decent riding around that area – it’s mainly all footpaths 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks boxelder, that path doesn’t seem to be on the map.

fergal
    Free Member

Have you ridden Hobcarton end? nice, although it finshes at Whinlatter.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Boxelder is right but the trail up along hopegill head doesn’t add much time or mileage and the little descent from the top is nice.

Sounds like a tip top day out – Grizedale Pike is pretty wild from the top! You’ll need you wits about you, the top is tough with a high price for failure in the form of big drops. Even if you have tlk walk a bit of it Sleet How is really satisfying. The steps of death are a good laugh too.

boxelder

Hobcarton End is a mess just now. Wet at the best of times, this ‘winter’ and logging on the bottom section will make it very unpleasant.
    I’d opt for Coledale Hause, Crag Hill, Sail, then right into Rigg Beck.

fergal
    Free Member

I guess it has been a tad damp of late!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Pretty much every way you can see on the map goes and is really good, from Warnscale you could skip the road ride to Gasgale by going back up Honister onto Dalehead, then either down through the mines or carry on towards Cat Bells, that’s a cracking descent.

Hindsgarth and Scope End is another pretty decent way off too.

Rigg Beck is ace, but I reckon it might be more affected by the recent weather and it’s not as good as your other options.

If you don’t go Dale Head, Gasgale is the easiest way up, assuming it’s not too messy after the rain. From there the best descent is off Causey Pike, you can’t ride the top section, but once you get to the start of the scree it all goes. Bear left halfway down rather than going off the end of the hill.

The run into Coledale is a top top descent, very fast and rocky, less technical than the others.

All routes off Grizedale Pike are great, but the ridge that brings you out at the bottom of Whinlatter Pass is one to do on a good day, with your A-game and with some friends, it’s the riskiest option.

boxelder

Thanks boxelder, that path doesn’t seem to be on the map.

This one

TomB

I’ve replied to your email on this topic, but it’s pretty much all been covered by others above! Following our recent bit of ‘weather’ Gasgale Gill and Hobcarton end will need some recovery time, but having not been to have a look yet I can’t tell you how much damage has been done.

Maybe for another day, but I’d second the dale head-high spy-maiden moor-cat bells option suggested above- easy access to Dale head from Honister, or up the mine track from Littletown to Dale Head Tarn (short steep carry to the tarn at the end of the valley).

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks, heading up to Keswick on Sunday and looking for some routes other than the usual Borrowdale / Skiddaw / Whinlatter stuff.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Route from Buttermere – Keswick… Hobcarton/grisedale pike?’ is closed to new replies.