• This topic has 25 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by flaps.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Route fro Sheffield into the Peaks – quiet/off road
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

Just moved to Sheffield (Hillsborough side)and have been scouring the OS for a route up into the Peaks.
    Anyone here got a route to share?

Thanks

thepodge
    Free Member

Thats my area.

Hilsborough, Malin Bridge, Rivelin Valley, Wyming Brook, Redmires, Stanage is a good one and mainly off road.

Drop me an email or one of those new PM things and I’ll sort you out with some local routes.

alexpalacefan

Rivelin valley via Bole Hill pump track and Walkley cemetery. Might be a bit cheeky, and deffo best in the dry.

APF

Mowgli
    Free Member

If you find yourself in town centre then there’s a nice route out from Endcliffe Park following Porter Brook, though from Hillsborough the Rivelin valley will be best – often muddy and quite busy though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above.

Endcliffe parks and potter’s clough, then the cheeky footpath to the reservoir (or turn left past the lamas to lady cannings).

Or Ranmore singletrack off Manchester road (cheeky, muddy, and quite technical in places, but with options to extend it up and down the hill to the river/resevoir).

jackthedog
    Free Member

For an alternative, head out of Hillsborough through Beeley Woods and get onto the Transpennine Trail through Wharncliffe Woods. Follow it up to Hazlehead, then nip over the hill to Langsett reservoir and the start of Cut Gate.

You can get from the Sainsbury’s at Hillsborough to Fairholmes cafe at Ladybower with no more than about 5 or ten minutes exposed to (very light) traffic.

Or you can combine with the above suggestions to make it into a loop.

Cut Gate is one to leave until summer though.

thepodge
    Free Member

jackthedog – Sainsbury’s at Hillsborough

The locals would have you shot for that kind of mistake, you’re way out of Hillsborough there… but yes thats another option but I’ve never done it as if I was doing that I’d have to pass Wharncliffe and Greno and a few other local bits so I’d never make it to Langsett

jackthedog
    Free Member

The locals would have you shot for that kind of mistake

Lol. I’m Hillsborough born & bred, it’s Hillsborough enough for me.

It does require some self restraint not to head up the hill when passing through Wharny. The best thing is to do the loop clockwise, so head out via Rivelin and come back the TPT way. Then when you’re on the bottom fire track in Wharny passing all the DH run-offs you can decide if you’ve still got the legs for it.

Last time I did that loop I very much didn’t…

thepodge
    Free Member

Haha, I was thinking the Wadsley Bridge locals would have you shot not the Hillsbrough ones.

Funnily enough I’m riding on Monday and considered Cut Gate in the hope that it would be frozen but also because in the week you can park much closer to the Ladybower end than you can at the weekend… I’m lazy like that.

Digby

Please avoid riding the footpath actually alongside the river Rivelin during busy times i.e. Sunday mornings etc as this has become more contentious of late – the relative increase in popularity has led to some walklers placing branches across some of the footpaths and a decreasing tolerance of cyclists …

There are plenty of other tracks, both approved and un-approved, marked and unmarked routes up Rivelin Valley and surraounding area without increasing traffic on what is a fairly narrow but popular footpath for families and dogs on extendable leads …

Ride Sheffield are apparently organising a dig day along Rivelin/Fox Hagg next month if you want to get involved with some local riders.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve never had an issue with anyone the many times I’ve been down there but shall keep it in mind.

Digby

Or Ranmore singletrack off Manchester road

I’ve noticed some of the routes around the old roman road listed on Strava as ‘Ranmoor’ but couldn’t work out why as Ranmore actually slopes down the southern ridge of the Fulwood ward towards Endcliffe. The Northern slope of the roman road (known today as Redmires Road) is part of the Lodge Moor Area

Students eh? 😉

Digby

I’ve never had an issue with anyone the many times I’ve been down there but shall keep it in mind

One of the footpaths down to the footbridge over the River Rivelin from Hagg Lane has become increasingly popular.

Someone apparently complained to the council so last year a wooden barrier was placed at the top entrance. Cyclists then started using a gap to the left of the barrier so some disgruntled person has continually been dragging branches etc to try and close the gap.

It’s something of a futile exercise and their efforts should probably be directed at the increasing amount of fly-tipping in the area.

I also frequently run along Rivelin Valley footpath and see many more cyclists these days with many walkers becoming increasingly annoyed/exasperated.

Some dog walker tried to challenge me a while ago on the stretch of path up to the old packhorse bridge near Rails.

I politely and calmly explained to him that the path in question was originally the old road to the pack horse bridge before The Rivelin ‘New’ Road was built in 1907.
    Which reminds me … I must write to the council and try and get them to remove the ‘No cycling’ sign … 😉

flaps
    Free Member

@jackthedog
    ‘For an alternative, head out of Hillsborough through Beeley Woods and get onto the Transpennine Trail through Wharncliffe Woods. Follow it up to Hazlehead, then nip over the hill to Langsett reservoir and the start of Cut Gate.’

Whereabouts do you leave Hazlehead? Road or off road? (Looking on Google Earth). I live on Manvers, Rotherham and have followed the TPT to Dunford Bridge a few times but fancy exploring other options.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

From the tpt theirs a bridleway just after hazlehead station that runs the side of a farmers field, and brings you out at the old flouch pub / roundabout , turn right cross the road and you are into the woods near langsett

From Sheffield you could always get the train to penistone or Denny sale of Shepley and ride cutgate , I’ve done reverse Sheffield to ladybower over cutgate to upper cumberworth 5-6 hours

flaps
    Free Member

I’ll try that next time, thanks.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I moved to Sheffield not long ago and am curious about trying out a load of routes, so far I’ve just stuck to parkwood and bolehills thanks to busy weekends. I live just off Shalesmoor roundabout so I’ll give some of these a go.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Cheers guys thanks for the info.
    Perhaps arrange a meet up/ride soon?

flaps
    Free Member

Just been looking on Google Maps (satellite) I use it a lot for planning routes. Where exactly is Hazlehead Station? Is it the one that was at Dunford Bridge?

I’m struggling to see the off road route to that pub (Flouch Inn?) too.

thejesmonddingo

Hazlehead Station is where the TPT crosses the A616.

flaps
    Free Member

I’m hoping to give this a go on Sunday. Old Moor to Langsett and back and then that should open up a few more avenues.
    I’ve seen on Google Maps the place that the TPT crosses the A616 as assume the station is the black bricked building called ‘Railway House’? (linky below but you might need to switch on ‘trails’ and look at the satellite view.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5228017,-1.7076457,3a,79.7y,254.5h,88.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smGPn4eubtYv5t361xsWhbg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e3
    But i’m not seeing any off road route from there to the res. Do I need to actually take the A616?

thepodge
    Free Member

There are a few bridleways that you could aim for

thepodge
    Free Member

Er… also what time you thinking of heading out?

You say you are Hillsborough side and I’m possibly riding from my door on Sunday too. More than happy to show you some stuff.

flaps
    Free Member

I can’t really commit to a time to be honest, hoping to set off 8 ish but that’s subject to how I feel after going out with the Mrs the night before. I know another guy who fancies it but wants to be back for 12.

thepodge
    Free Member

Fair enough, I also just realised you’re not the OP so not sure my route ideas would have worked anyway.

flaps
    Free Member

Did this today with two mates. Wath to Langsett and then around the top and back. 39.5 miles, some of them very muddy ones! I came off the TPT just about where it says ‘Ecklands’ and followed the very wet farm track to the left of your yellow highlighted circle and joined the road at the end, following it to the car park. Very hilly going back up there!!
    Bit disappointed to see you can’t cycle around the res but it was good up top

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Route fro Sheffield into the Peaks – quiet/off road’ is closed to new replies.