• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Chew.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Route de Grandes Alpes
  • Chew
    Free Member

Thinking of going to do this next summer.

Basically ride from Geneva to Nice over many of the Tdf climbs.

Achievable in 7 days, is accommodation easy to find, any other tips?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve done it and variations twice now. We did it in 5 days so very doable but it’s a strong schedule. consider using the ferry to get from Geneva to the other side, it’s a fair truck round by road and stage 1 is quite long enough already thanks! it costs around £15 for body and bike.

We got snowed on this year in early September and had to make a detour over the Col de Madalaine to get to Valloire as the Col d’iseran was closed from Bourg St Maurice.

This guy has suggested a good schedule and some nice detours, it’ll be pretty tough still though http://www.cycling-challenge.com/category/route-des-grandes-alpes/

Definitely do the Col de Pre to get to Cormet De Roseland, it’s a bastard but the view over the valley is awesome.

Haze

Always been interested in doing this some day…great link, thanks!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We’ve also done Biarritz to Girona over the Pyrenees; which to be honest I think I preferred to the RdGA. Next year, Portugal North to South!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely do the Col de Pre to get to Cormet De Roseland, it’s a bastard but the view over the valley is awesome

The view is indeed stunning (basically my stw profile picture). I took the Trail Addiction van uplift though 😳

Sandwich

Is this the road ride? I didn’t rate the section from Menton to Eze around the back of Monaco. Very busy with traffic indeed. You’ll be slow on the uphill and the cars will get in the way into Nice on the downhill.

Chew
    Free Member

Interested in which route you did between Biarritz and Girona?

May not go to Menton, as i know a good way down from Turini into Nice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Route de Grandes Alpes’ is closed to new replies.