Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Route Check please…. Helvellyn from the Coach Road
  • lowey

Normally I would have thought this way up :-

Bruts Moss

But I seem to recall someone saying it is prone to being a bit Boggy. Given the forecast between now and Sunday if thats the case then I was thinking of going up :-

This one

Alternatively, push straight up onto the Clough Head Summit and go on from there.

Any thoughts on it ??

Cheers all.

fizzer
    Free Member

That one looked boggy too. We rode off Clough Head down the grass. Maybe try going in the opposite direction?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

After tommorrows rain it will be very wet on Brutts moss,Dont let that put you off though,It is usually all rideable if you keep going until the climb starts onto Great Dodd,big fat tyres are great for Helvellyn,2.2-2.3s ideal,Theres quite a lot of carrying,allthough its a long ride up from here so you may as well set the bike up for the decents!

Its the best way up Helvellyn ime,Greenside mine to the zig zags is ok,and bog free, but I prefer this as a decent.
    Clough Head is worse than Brutts moss,I would avoid it ime.

enjoy 😉

snowpaul
    Free Member

Hey up,

I reckon both routes are ok – will be boggy in places – i ‘do’ helvellyn a fair bit and have been up it on foot and bike for over 13 years – 3 times this year so far… I usually go up Dollywagon pike ( a heresy to some on here but I like it – its only a 30 min carry!!) and down the Raise ( excellent – come the over way and you will be pushing up this and hating yourself !!)and down the switchbacks into keppel cove and then throw in the Ullswater loop of singletrack which ABSOLUTELY kicks ass and a total tech fest… If weather is bad do that if nothing else – we had random thunder / lightning a few weekends back on the top and it was challenging – poor dog hated the hail but loved the small car sized chunks of snow in the gullies!!

If you havent done it before – do not underestimate Dollywagon Pike – it has had a lot of trail work done to it – its now a lot of rock steps with exposed wheel trap ditches – be warned – unless you are a very good rider you wont make it all the way down – I cant on my hardtail! knee pads are a good idea!!! Dont ride the grass as that will just cause erosion and you will OTB on some hidden rock !

Enjoy it but be prepared to bin it if the weathers bad as forecasted as A) views will be piss poor B)the Raise will be hairy C) watch for wind funnelling out of the gullies

Expect a 4-7hr ride – enjoy it !

paul

ir_bandito
    Free Member

As snowpaul says, they’ll both be boggy. Fine for coming down with gravity on your side.
    Alternative is to go the full length of the Old Coach Road, round to Thirlspot and carry up here, as described here.
    Fair old slog, but good fun.

lowey

We have a back up if the clag is down… going to do the Garburn from Ambleside.

Right.. I’ll stick to Bruts Moss then.

lowey

Better pack the canoe!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Dont ride the grass as that will just cause erosion and you will OTB on some hidden rock !

someone pointed out last week that a park ranger told him to ride down the grass (which can easily stand it) as the steps are not designed to be ridden 🙂

wors

Better pack the canoe!

!

i’m stopping in bed

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Tarts! It’s a bit of rain dammit, not Noah’s Flude 👿

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Route Check please…. Helvellyn from the Coach Road’ is closed to new replies.