• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by RRD.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Route assistance – Rides near Oxspring in the Peak District
  • RRD
    Free Member

A good friend is across from the States, I’ll be catching up and was hoping to take him out for a ride.

Are there any ‘classic’ Peak District rides near Oxspring (just to the West of Barnsley i believe?). I have zero experience of the Peaks and any advice is greatly appreciated I would like to ride one of the rides that all the mags always seem to rave about.

Cheers

antigee

no longer live in area but memory says about 8 miles or less on minor roads with good views to Langsett then you can do THE cutgate out and back possibly with a beer loop to Midhopstones before the ride back to Oxspring

its a bump and I’m sure someone can give you a GPS of the route or google Cutgate but be aware starting from Langsett isn’t the norm’

teamslug
    Free Member

I live in Barnsley. You could ride up trans pennine that runs at back of Wagon and Horses in Oxspring either up to Wharncliffe and have a ride round there or ride up to Langsett and loop round the reservoir and up to north America!! and back down via slippery stones or you could try going over cut gate and back as suggested. I have gps rides that we have done but they start other side of Barnsley. If I can help email is in profile.

alanf
    Free Member

Cut-gate is a classic Peak route and not too far from Oxspring.
    Head out from Langsett over to Derwent/Howden/Ladybower and back.
    You could also head over to the dams first and ride around there. there will be loads of routes on line to chose from.

jet26
    Free Member

When you heading out? I live in Penistone 5 mins up the road and ride round that area.

Langsett the obvious one or drive out to Edale and do the Jacobs ladder loop.

There is a good local loop taking in some nice scenery up the old wagon road from oxspring then down to silkstone from the travellers and then via cawthorne to gunthwaite then to inbirchworth and thurlstone.

RRD
    Free Member

All

I think it’ll have to be Cutgate since I seem to remember reading about that route.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Route assistance – Rides near Oxspring in the Peak District’ is closed to new replies.