• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Route Advice (Road) – Peak District
  • Haze

Possibly heading up tomorrow, know very little about the area other than it’s not too far away and long overdue a visit.

Looking at starting somewhere near Hope and taking in all the best bits (Winnat’s, Snake etc.?) within a loop of around 50 or 60 miles if possible.

Any suggestions, tips etc.?

Pete-B
    Free Member

Assuming you want to climb Winnats:
    Hope – Castleton – Winnats – Chapel – Glossop – Woodhead(B6105) – Holmfirth (via Holme Moss) – Langsett (via A616) – RT on Mortimer Road – RT onto A57 – left A6013 – Bamford – Rt on A6187 back to Hope.
    IIRC about 55 miles & 6200ft of climbing.
    It does (obviously) miss out Snake but do Holme Moss albeit in the reverse direction of the TdF but you will do Ewden Beck in the same direction.
    If you do it (Ewden Beck)imagine what it’ll be like for the peloton!
    I can PM you the GPX if it helps.

Also watch out for Wiggle Tour of the Peak: http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?option=event_detail&event_id=76

Half considered roadie riding there tomoz but decided to initiate my wagon-wheeler on Cut Gate.
    Whatever – it should be a grand day!

monksie
    Free Member

Or. Hope, Hathersage, Calver , Stoney Middleton, Peak Forest, Small Dale, Peak Dale, Buxton, Long Hill, Whaley Bridge, Furness Vale, New Mills, Mellor, Marple Bridge, Charlesworth, Simondley, Glossop, Snake Pass, Bamford, Hope.
    That’s my route tomorrow. Winnats really isn’t all that. It’s a very hard but not enjoyable climb. I much prefer Edale Road out of Edale and it’s a crap descent.
    The big chunk of dry stone wall missing, photograph and flowers of the lady cyclist that died there last month is quite sobering as well.

Pete-B
    Free Member

I’d sooner climb from Edale too, a nicer view. But Winnats is one of them things you have to do once.

Haze

I did consider Edale, maybe an extra at the end if there’s anything left.

Hadn’t realised the Wiggle thing was on tomorrow, not sure if it’s best to leave it or make use of the feed stations 😉

Pete, I’m pretty sure I can work something out but would appreciate the gpx if you don’t mind (email in profile)?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Route Advice (Road) – Peak District’ is closed to new replies.