• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • route advice needed. Huddersfield to Manchester. (quietish).
  • ton

i know i am asking a lot, but is there a quietish route from Huddersfield to Manchester?
    me and the wife are riding from Leeds to Manchester on sunday, the 1st half will be canal and ncn routes, but after Marsden it all looks a bit busy.

binners

Have you tried the Sustrans site Ton? That’ll show you the best cycle routes

The Bike Hub app is really useful for this kind of thing

ton

looked at them both…not much help.
    got a route that runs just below Oldham, it dont look too bad.
    scouthead, lees, pitses, hathershaw, and on to the canal at failsworth.
    should be ok i hope.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nbt

The transpennine trail might help you, it’s gravel and tarmac – runs from the woodhead pass though so quite some way south of marsden. Failing that you can take the back road out of Marsden past the golf course (and past Marsdenman’s house)

http://goo.gl/maps/9mlpf

Take that up to the main A65 then there’s an unavoidable stretch along the main road, but from the top of the hill you can drop on to the penning bridleway and drop down to the canal at diggle

crikey
    Free Member

If you do the canal to Marsden you’ll be climbing over Standedge, so will come into the top end of Saddleworth.

You can do either off road or on road from the top of the hill.

Off road is slightly tricky, not bad, but a bit tricky;
    Drop down on the road and then look for the track on the left just after Brun Clough reservoir. This the top of Boat lane which used to be where they took the horses over when the canal boats got legged through the tunnel. It comes down to a couple of houses at Brun Lane, then drops to the Diggle Hotel. Turn right over the railway, then left onto the canal. Follow the canal to Uppermill.
    This canal goes all the way to Ashton-U-Lyne, to Portland basin. You can then pick up the canal from Ashton to Manchester which runs in past the Man City Eithiad stadium.

Road wise, you’ll end up on big roads anyway, but from Marsden I’d go down the valley to Uppermill, then left through Greenfield, then right through bottom Mossley, Stalybridge, Ashton, then A662 or A635 into Manchester.

Possible alternative; do the ride down to Uppermill, go in the pub, get the train into Manchester from Greenfield station at 10 minutes to the hour.

Shout out for pub recommendations….

fubar
    Free Member

I like the A640 (past Scammonden Water) for a road cycle but is hilly (but quiet)…perhaps follow it to Denshaw then (another hill) over to Newhey and Milnrow where you can then jump back onto the Rochdale Canal and follow it all the way into Manchester.

theteaboy
    Free Member

On or off road?

On road, it’s a bit of a detour (but it’s lovely) but I’d go Hud > Lockwood > Crosland Moor > Meltham > Chew Valley > Greenfield > Canal at Stalybridge.

Off-road I’d go from Marsden up to Wessenden Head and down the same descent through the Chew Valley.

Personally I’d avoid the A65 at all costs!

wors

From halifax to littleborough? bit of a climb like. Would the leeds liverpool canal not be an option?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

If you can get to Rochdale you pick up the canal [ that you were gonna join at Failsworth ] all the way to Ancoats in Manchester

crikey
    Free Member

Come on ton, which way you going? 😀

ton

leeds, dewsbury, mirfield, huddersfield, marsden via the canal/ncn,
    then diggle, greenfield, stalybridge, manchester, via the canal….i hope.

wors

the second leg follows the real ale trail route 8)

ton

Jase…..and as my fb shows, that is the motive and reward…… 8)

hp_source

Your route would be my choice too Ton, when doing the bit from Marsden to Diggle this route will be the quieter option. Still uses Standedge Cutting, but that’s unavoidable for a road route and not a long stretch.

Green for hybrids/tourers, Orange for anything more capable off-road.

nbt

I’d be happy riding the orange route on a CX or tourer, but don’t know if Mrs Ton would be that happy about it

ton

mrs ton’s hybrid should be ok on the orange then Keith…. 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘route advice needed. Huddersfield to Manchester. (quietish).’ is closed to new replies.