• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mcj78.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rounded screws?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips on how to remove rounded screws? Decorating the bathroom and the 4 of the door handle screws have very rounded screws.

Cheers.

jimjam
    Free Member

If you have a dremel you can cut a channel in them to use a flat head. Alternatively use the screwdriver as a punch and hit it with a hammer to make a new mark. These might be a bit drastic mind you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scc999

Crosshead or Pozi I assume?

I’ve had some success with a thin flatblade screwdriver with sharp corners on rounded screws but it has to be a VERY tight fit. Same with a Torx driver (might ruin the torx head though so don’t use expensive ones!

Pressure on the screwdriver forcing it into the screw head is more important than twisting force too.

Last option would be to drill the heads off carefully leaving as much screw body as possible, remove the handle and use pliers / molegrips to turn the body of the screw.

Good luck.

Si

tjagain

cut a slot and use a flat screwdriver. Two hacksaw blades in a handle makes a wider slot thats easier to get a big screwdriver in.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Use the longest screwdriver you can get your hands on.

It’s all about the gentle application of torque.

I have one of these for just this type of situation.

Nothing is better for teasing out a hundred year old screw than a fully extended 18″ Yankee

Drac

Nothingis better for teasing out a hundred year old screw than a fully extended 18″ Yankee

Ooh you saucy devil.

tomd
    Free Member

Those screw extractors work well mostly. They’re less good (IME) if the screws are stainless steel but otherwise they should do the trick.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Thanks so much! Torx head worked!

scc999

Good news!

Si

sweepy
    Free Member

How does the length of the screwdriver affect torque?

perchypanther
    Free Member

How does the length of the screwdriver affect torque?

It doesn’t (as far as I am aware – I’m sure someone who understands the maths’ll be along in a minute with a clever opinion)

What a long screwdriver does do is allow you more precise control over the application of the torque without the screwdriver slipping.

Again, I don’t understand the maths that makes that work, but it does.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Small hand movements have less effect on angle relative to the screw.

Its easier to keep straightand nit have the driver slip out the screwhead.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had success on stuff that you can access the other side of (like a door) by taking a screwdriver bit, clamping it into place with a small sash clamp and then turning the bit with an appropriate spanner.

frogstomp

No idea if it actually works successfully, but I saw a video on YouTube where you stick a piece of rubber (e.g. rubber band) between the bit and the screw head – gives enough friction to help grip and budge it.

mcj78
    Free Member

I had a couple of rotor bolts that wouldn’t budge a while back, tried filing across them to use a flat bladed screwdriver but no dice – ended up using an old drill bit slightly smaller than the bolt with the drill set in reverse & leaned on it heavily while giving it full beans – even though it doesn’t technically have anything to grip on, the heat generated by the friction of the drill bit was enough to break the bond between the screw & thread and it popped out cleanly.

I then of course burnt my damn hand on the bolt as it picked it up to examine what had happened, the top of the bolt had a perfectly smooth concave in it from the hardened drill bit, even in reverse – still have it somewhere as a reminder to use anti-seize on bolts.

If the screws are flats take extra care if trying this, a cross head / hex helps to keep the bit centered when you’re pushing against it, also if this wrecks the screw heads completely & leaves you in a worse situation don’t blame me – it was you who put your faith in some bloke off the tinternet 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rounded screws?’ is closed to new replies.