Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rounded out rotor bolts
  • radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Got a couple of these buggers. I’ve tried sawing a line across and getting a big screwdriver in there but I can’t get enough purchase on it. What to do?

tandemwarriors

Molegrips on the screwdriver for extra torque? And they’ve probably got some threadlock on, so heat them up with a hot air gun (or hairdryer) to soften the adhesive.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Ah, good point, shall try that

rotary
    Free Member

if the screw driver has chewed the slit that you made my nxt call would be to try n knock em round with a centre punch to free em up, then maybe mole grip on the screw head at a 90 degree angle or even better some small stilsons

coatesy
    Free Member

Just a thought, you aren’t trying to use an allen key in a torx bolt, are you?

unovolo
    Free Member

If none of the above works you may have to resort to drilling the heads off the rotor bolts.
    Once the tensions off the remaining screwthreads you should be able to remove the stubs with molgrips or pliers.

nosedive
    Free Member

have you tried putting the screwdriver in just one side of the slot you have sawn and tap the bolt round gently like the screwdriver is a chisel?

could be brown pants dril time, hope your hubs aren’t expensive!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Result!

I found this thread and with a combination of a soak in GT85 and a blast with the hair dryer, I got one of them off with the torx bit.

Then the second one, which I’d had a go at with the screwdriver, moved when I waggled the rotor about. Then it just unscrewed with the driver.

Bloody love this place sometimes!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rounded out rotor bolts’ is closed to new replies.