• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by devs.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rounded-off torx bolt – Shimano SLX – any thoughts?
  • ajt123
    Free Member

Needed to bleed my back brake, found that I had rounded-off the bleed port [the bigger, outer one] torx 10 bolt on the lever last time I did it.

I tried to use pliers to turn it, but limited purchase as it is nearly flush.

I thought about super glueing the torx key in then turning. Didn’t think it would work.

Is it for the bin?

Any practical advice most welcome.

Alex

legend
    Free Member

1st port of call would be to try and insert the next size up – with a hammer if necessary. It shouldn’t be very tight unless someone’s been swinging off the torx key when it was tightened

ajt123
    Free Member

SLX is 45 quid on Evans. Think I will bin and start again.

towzer

final resort stuff (well I used it on motorbikes where the bits were bigger and ‘harder’)

get a centre punch (and you’re dealing with small weak stuff so go very gentle – but as you’re talking about buying new )

punch an indent in the edge of the bolt (if you can) and then angle the punch so that it drives it in the undo direction and try and punch it round (remembering you’re dealing with tiny weak bits)

and before that note the bigger torx tip above

ps – the glue should be araldite two part

hot_fiat

Soak it with plusgas (makes wd40 look like toffee) then junior hack saw through the top to put a slot in it. Put the biggest flat blade screw driver in the slot and whack the handle with a hammer each time you go to undo it.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’d suggest you use the 2.5mm hex key that’s designed to fit 🙂

nicolaisam
    Free Member

2.5mm Hex key on the ones i have bled

devs
    Free Member

I’d suggest you use the 2.5mm hex key that’s designed to fit

LOLOLOLOL!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rounded-off torx bolt – Shimano SLX – any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.