• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rounded head on hope x2 break pad bolt.!!!!!
  • aawrighty
    Free Member

The bolt that holds the pads and spring in has rounded. Have tried maul grips, hammering in a torques bit but still can’t get the bugger out. Any suggestions? Have thought about cutting it with hacksaw but will still end up having to get the thread out somehow as far as i can see.??

Onzadog
    Free Member

perhaps a reverse fluted drill might do it.

teethgrinder

Once the head is off, there will be no tension on the threads, so it should come out easily.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Long nose Vise Grips on the body of the pin and try unscrewing it with them?

scrumfled
    Free Member

cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver.

gogg
    Free Member

gogg
    Free Member

What they said.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The bolt in question is flush with the caliper. Not really possible to cut a slot and there’s no space between the thread and loaded shoulder between which to cut. Come across one before and they can be a really bugger to shift.

OP, it might be worth taking it to a small engineering shop while it’s still tidy enough for them to rescue. If you do too much damage, you might make it tricky for them.

Did it round because you used a cheap/wrong size tool or because the thread has seized?

legend
    Free Member

Get a torx bit in there, more chance of the sharp edges getting a grip before resorting to more severe methods

patriotpro
    Free Member

This happened to the main-pivot bolt that holds the suspension rocker in place! I cut a slot in with a dremel and screwed it out with a flat-blade screwdriver Why can’t u cut a slot in it? Can you post a pic?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

If it’s recessed, what about cutting through the bolt in the middle, so the tension will be off the thread and then just unwinding it with some needle nose pliers. Could well work.

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s nothing loading the threads in this application though.

rendo
    Free Member

You could try hex plus allen keys. seen them demonstrated at the bike show for this sort of thing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Actually, I’m talking out of my arse (my arse has been busy this week, see other threads).

The bolt head isn’t recessed, I’ve been recently tinkering some E4s. Seems my memory is shot.

The bolt in question is a tapered socket cap so I guess cutting a slot with a demmel might work but there’s not a lot of material there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wera make em. Cracking bits of kit they are. Id second needle nose vice grips ( propper branded ones will be best as cheap ones tend to slip) between the pads

aawrighty
    Free Member

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I used the tools i had at my disposal and after using pliers and grips ended up cutting a slot in with hacksaw and after many attempts to turn with flat head the bugger simply won’t turn and now the sides are starting to splay and also Managed to stab my hand with screwdriver so have given up put it all back together and there is enough meat left on pads for one more ride which is tomorrow at Dalby Forest. I will attempt it again next week.

oldnpastit

Bolt remover? Cost about £5 at a local hardware store, screw in backwards then unscrew.

bradley
    Free Member

Hammer? Sounds a bit like its rusted in? Try a firm wack from hammer then try flat head screwdriver again. If that doesnt work try heating it up? I dont really know…

Currently restoring a 1985 Yamaha YZ250 and there have been some REALLY stubborn bolts/screws/bearings that have taken some serious tinkering to get out. Me and dad spent one evening removing just 1 bolt on the linkage bearings…..ughhhh.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Afaik there isnt a bolt extractor small enough for this bolt !

teethgrinder

Just to check…righty tighty, lefty loosey 😉

Suggsey
    Free Member

Heat the pin with a blow torch and spray soak it with plusgas repeat a few times then try pliers again oooorrrrr send them in to Hope!

teethgrinder

Also, sounds counter-intuative, but try tightening the bolt before loosening it. Has worked for me many times on cars.

iain1775
    Free Member

what about cutting through the bolt in the middle, so the tension will be off the thread and then just unwinding it with some needle nose pliers. Could well work.

This
    Worked for me when I had a similar problem
    Was still a complete bugger to get out but got it there in the end, needs decent quality needle pliers though
    I took the calliper off the bike clamped pliers in a vice and turned the calliper, quarter turn, reposition and repeat, got there eventually

It’s quite a small bolt, can’t get bolt extractors that small and I wouldn’t risk applying too much heat with a blowtorch to an alloy brake calliper

StuE
    Free Member

Had same thing with a set of Xtr brakes, ended up drilling the buggers out and replacing with split pins

br
    Free Member

send them in to Hope!

+1

I’ve those calipers and I’d imagine that they’d be a bu99er if they seized.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rounded head on hope x2 break pad bolt.!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.