• This topic has 32 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Rounded bolt in stem- how to drill out?
  • hora
    Free Member

Thomson stem- what drill bits should I buy from Halfords? Any tips etc?

I tried using an existing one last night and it just rounded the end of the bit. 😐

paladin

Stainless bolts?

HSS bits, low speed high pressure, cutting paste if you have any.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora – if you can get a hacksaw into the gap gut the bolt to relive the tension and then you should be easily able to unscrew using a bit of pressure

Murray

Not the right thing to do but I’ve had success using tile cutting bits. I’m guessing that any HSS bit you find in Halfords / B&Q will be rubbish.

hora
    Free Member

if you can get a hacksaw into the gap gut the bolt to relive the tension and then you should be easily able to unscrew using a bit of pressure

Hands of steel hora ensured there is no gap 🙁

nickjb
    Free Member

Can you hammer in a torx bit. That sometimes works

bencooper
    Free Member

Drill from the opposite side – that way the drill is also trying to unscrew the bolt.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Assuming the bolt is stuck in there due to a rounded Head? Try undoing the bolt with a similar sized torx bit maybe inserted with the help of a hammer. If the thread is seized give it a dose of plus-gas and try again.

If you do have to drill, with the bolt being obviously much tougher than the surrounding stem body the drill will likely wander and I suspect you will need to re-tap the hole at a larger size if you want to re-use the stem.

banks
    Free Member

+1 Ben Cooper, works a treat. Also, possible to do the other stem bolt up tight or tighter than the rounded one?zee

richmtb

Can you hammer in a torx bit. That sometimes works

+1

A lot less faff then drilling it out

plyphon
    Free Member

Super glue in a torx key, unscrew

sbob
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Drill from the opposite side – that way the drill is also trying to unscrew the bolt.

Or if drilling from the reverse side is not possible, left handed drill bits have the same effect.

br
    Free Member

What length is it, as I’ve a 90mm you can have for next-to-nothing.

Northwind

Left handed drill bits sound like the sort of thing you’d send the new boy off to find on his first day but they do exist 😉 but yeah in this case try the other end of the bolt.

Torq should be first point of call though. I’m assuming it’s the steerer bolt not the faceplate? Is it stuck in a bike currently? If not chucking it in a jar of diesel for a day or so for Ultimate Unseizing could help. Drilling a bolt out is generally harder than just removing it.

binners

I don’t know how you’ve managed to round it off. I mean, its not like you’re constantly removing, replacing, swapping stuff around and constantly dicking around with things, is it really? 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Torq should be first point of call though.

To ensure you have the energy to undertake the work? 😉

I’d be trying with a torx, or going in from the back. Matron.

VanMan
    Free Member

This is why I have a set of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-pro-grabit-screw-and-bolt-remover-2-pieces/21391

work a treat to fix my ham fistedness

nikk
    Free Member

Is this the stem / steerer interface, or the stem / handlebar one?

Northwind

njee20 – Member

To ensure you have the energy to undertake the work?

Well played!

paladin

Centre punch if drilling 😛

Fantombiker

Hacksaw a slot in the top and use a screwdriver to ease out. If its rusted in heat it up first with a blowtorch.

andyl
    Free Member

If it’s the faceplate bolts then stop if there is any risk of damaging the stem body and consider cutting up the faceplate. You may well have damaged it now anyway if you’ve done it up that tight (it’s not an Easton top lock!) and they are only cheap.

molgrips
    Free Member

If the bolt is proud then dremel or saw a slot into it, as Fantombiker suggests. If it’s recessed then drill an extra hole and use extractors, like Vanman says.

Drilling it out all the way without damaging the stem is tremendously difficult.

binners

Don’t listen to any of these fannies! What you need is an oxy-acetylene cutter! 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Thermal Lance or GTFO.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI5whCBV0bk[/video]

Scamper
    Free Member

Plenty of options above to try. I take it Hora got hold on a Heckler in the end, or am I already a frame behind?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Pic?

tinsy
    Free Member

Impact driver, & cold chiseld slot, or torx bit jammed in or anything to get a bit of purchase… But the impact driver is the key to it.

hora
    Free Member

It took Evans all of 30secs to extract.

patriotpro
    Free Member

But you’re grateful of all the replies obviously… 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Evans ? is he your helpful Welsh friend ?

hora
    Free Member

Evans cycles (National cycle centre Manchester) as with the other Manchester stores has very good and capable mechanics.

^thanks for the above. I called them and they said pop in now? With the extra screw it bobbed out very quickly. 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Rounded bolt in stem- how to drill out?’ is closed to new replies.