Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rounded Allen nut – Help!
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

The 3mm Allen nut is now stuck fast and I can’t get my lock grips off the bars. Any suggestions please?

martinhutch

Hammer in a slightly bigger one?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Hammered torx bit, Dremel or drill

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for hammering in a torx. Needs be a tight fit but does work. Another option is to cut the bolt with a thin hacksaw blade if the gap is wide enough.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Drill it out. Idealy left hand drill, but not necessary.

Or araldite in a allen key, Then when removed heat up the bolt to weaken the epoxy and pull the blot off.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Drill it out from the other side.

somafunk

if you own torx bits then try tapping one of them in, you’ll prob need a T10 or T15 bit. Or try a 3/32 imperial allen key or 1/8th.

If you have none of the above then take a cold chisel to the inner edge of the grip and whack it with a hammer – be careful if you have carbon bars.

Edit : drilling it out is a no win situation – for the reason the allen bolt is steel, the lock on end cap is alloy – you do the engineering.

if it comes to that situation then take a hacksaw blade to the split/compression join on the alloy lock on cap

TiRed

+1 for drilling from the other side. I had a Ti stem bolt snap inside a carbon stem and a small drill did the trick.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

T10 too small, T15 too big. +1 for the cold chisel though (thanks Somafunk). Wrapped it in a towel first to limit damage and bob’s your Knob. Good job it was the outer nut only.
    Now to see if I can replace the grip end, but I guess I’m looking at new grips.
    Thanks for all the speedy replies.

samunkim
    Free Member

To anyone else with this specific problem.
    Use a G-clamp to close the grip enough to take the pressure off the bolt. Then undo

Merak

G clamp is a genius idea!

somafunk

No bother, now that the grip is off the bars the bolt may come out as there is no tension on the underside of the head to stretch the bolt, squeeze the lock-on ring together and see if you can get the bolt out – you’ve got nowt’ to lose.

teethgrinder

Does the clamp have a gap where you could hacksaw the bolt shaft?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

G-clamp was a great idea. Even with the grip off the bars I couldn’t turn the nut but a bit of wd40 and a clamp that was way too big for the job and finally the nut is out. (a bolt actually of course)
    So glad I didn’t drill or cut because now I only need a new bolt.
    Cutting would have been very difficult because although the was a tiny gap it was no wider that a hacksaw blade. Drilling would almost certainly have made a good old mess of the alloy.
    As usual a great team effort from STW, thanks all.

Fantombiker

Is there enough space to cut a slot and then use a screwdriver?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

no need, as you can see the bolt is now out, unless you mean in order to reuse it but I think I’ll just buy another.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rounded Allen nut – Help!’ is closed to new replies.