Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rough price for a wheel rebuild?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Found out most of the alloy nipples on a secondhand set of wheels I've bought are rounded (grrrr), what sort of figure do you think is reasonable for a rebuild with brass nipples?

I've been quoted £40 by LBS which seems a bit steep. Then again I'm being charged £12 for an 'attempted' true.

Starting to think I'd be better off shelling out for a trueing stand and learning to build wheels myself.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sounds about right to me, if that includes new nipples (Maybe new spokes too)

tinsy
    Free Member

if its with spokes its about right, £15-20 for the build at my LBS.. I think £40 sounds a lot if its just new nipples.

njee20
    Free Member

No need to replace spokes just because the nips are seized, so that's a lot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you're tempted to give it a go yourself then I'd support that idea. Grab the wheelpro book, make your own tools and learn a new skill over Christmas. It's not the blac art people make it out to be.

DT78
    Free Member

Price is just for brass nipples and the rebuild, no spokes.

How long did it take you to pick up the skill with that book? Last thing I want to do is fubar a rim.

And where's the best place to by spokes/nipples/ (and maybe rims) from?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Let me guess, a bike shop based on Shirley Road? They do build good wheels but cheap, they most definately are not.

They don't seem to like anything they haven't supplied, and charge accordingly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It shouldn't take more than a day to sort a wheel out yourself with the book. Take it slow and the chances of mullering anything are very slim. I actually now build wheels with more even tension than any others I've found (but then I wouldn't expect any pro builders to spend several hours on a single wheel).

sv

It shouldn't take more than a day to sort a wheel out yourself with the book. Take it slow and the chances of mullering anything are very slim. I actually now build wheels with more even tension than any others I've found (but then I wouldn't expect any pro builders to spend several hours on a single wheel).

+1.

CRC do a good range of rims and spokes. Red Spokey will be your main weapon!

banginon

With a second hand wheel and shot nipples it'll take the mechanic f'in ages to pull off all the old shot stuff before even starting with the new; he then still doesn't know wether the supplied rim is kinked/flat spotted and will take fuffing ages to true, nothing worse than a wheel with old alloy nipples IMO, £40 quote will be to cover all optiions. Do it yourself if you wanna save money and have the time, it's a good skill to pick up; but I think by the end you'll figure out that £40 ain't a rip off.

dustytrails

Do it yourself if you're fairly ok with hands on stuff & can think in 3d a bit – As sv said – wheelpro book – great "book" to download for 10 – 15 quid i think – you've already got the spokes & rim!! Learn a new skill that will always be useful – ALL serious cyclists should be able to do it IMO

Coyote
    Free Member

£40 for a complete rebuild is *not* excessive or a rip off. FFS, some people on here seem to begrudge skilled people making a living. How much will a sparky charge you for an hour's labour? A mechanic? A lawyer?

£40 is a good price.

DT78
    Free Member

Hob Nob – yep said LBS is on Shirley Highstreet – I like the guys in there but I've had some pretty poor work done by them over the last couple of years – simple things like not greasing pedal threads when fitting new cranks and this has pushed me to doing alot of stuff myself.

Wheel building is the final frontier, well that and fork/shock servicing.

Off to download the book – thanks for the advice!

edit – I wasn't saying it was a ripoff, it was just a bit more than I was expecting. As was £12 to true it. Every penny counts these days, I mean I had a full bearing service on the nomad including all the bits I needed done by jungle for £55 inc p&p August this year

DT78
    Free Member

Oh if I wasn't clear it was £40 per wheel not for both, using original spokes, rim & hub.

Coyote
    Free Member

£40 per wheel is not excessive. I build my own wheels, to a point. I then take them into the LBS for a final true and tension. Usually costs about a £10.

29erKeith
    Free Member

DT78 try Perfect Balance Cycles in Totton
    He's built several wheels for me all stayed nice a true, a good price too.
    He'll be a damn sight cheaper than the shop you've been to already

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

£40 for the build with new spokes is pretty good. if no spokes its a bit steep. we charge £25 to build a wheel but thats just labour. so add spokes and your not far off £40. you could do it yourself if you get the kit, it will take a few goes to get it bang on but its a great skill to have x

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Coyote, no-one begrudges 'skilled' people making a living. If your going to compare professions, maybe try not to compare the relatively unskilled, unqualified and unregulated position of a bike shop mechanic to that of a highly skilled, qualified and regulated role a la electrician/lawyer etc.

DT – similar experience myself, they charge top dollar for bike work yet don't provide a top dollar service.

If it's something you don't want to try yourself, drop this guy a mail http://demonframeworks.com/ He has a good wheelbuilder who charges a lot less. They are 5 minutes walk from other said shop too.

Coyote
    Free Member

compare the relatively unskilled, unqualified and unregulated position of a bike shop mechanic

We obviously have different LBS.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rough price for a wheel rebuild?’ is closed to new replies.